Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

why does this lancer beat me?

pimpclipse
04-13-2003, 05:27 AM
My friend has an stock 03 lancer ES and i have a 98 zx2 with iintake and exhaust. Before i was able to beat him easily now he just kills me and the street and highway. Lancer has 120 hp bout 130 torque. I know a few things about cars but for some reason i dont know this, but if my 1,2, and 3 gear feel like they have less power after a few minutes of driving and a few hard launches do i need a new clutch or transmission?

k_dog
04-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Sounds like a hot engine. If you like to redline an automatic, it's going to run like crap, also. If his car is a standard, you can bet on that being the reason he is wasting you.

dexterzx2
04-14-2003, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure about your clutch, depends on the history of your car. Is it new or used before you? Do you have a ATX or MTX? Maybe you're not getting a good start off the line. You should be able to take him, unless you have an auto.

Dexter

pimpclipse
04-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Nah home skillets they are both 5 speeds. When we first start a race (after i just turn my car on and drive for like 5 minutes) i can take him easily with a good hard start but if we race twice or i been drivin my car for like 20 minutes i get smoked. Both stock clutches. My thermostat has been broke for like a week and i can tell i hae power loss in first gear after a race.

dexterzx2
04-15-2003, 05:05 AM
Here's how you can fix that and get a little more out of it. Go to ZXtuner (http://www.zxtuner.com) and purchase the 180 degree thermostat. It's only like $15 I think. Have you ever noticed that your car seems to have more power before it's completely warmed up? A cooler motor makes more power. This thermostat mod will help your motor run significantly cooler. The thermostat starts the coolant circulating in the radiator 15 degrees sooner than the stock thermostat, keeping internal engine and under-hood temps down. I just got mine, and you can feel a difference.

Dexter

Add your comment to this topic!