Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

putting transfer case in neutral?

mybad_z71
02-23-2010, 10:54 PM
hello, i have a 1997 z71 with push button 4x4, it has 2hi 4hi 4lo, no autoshift. does anyone know how to put the transfer case in neutral. i dont have the owners manual and the dealerships here are very un- cooperative, thanks

RahX
02-24-2010, 01:42 AM
If it has pushbutton and neutral isn't listed then you're out of luck :\

MT-2500
02-24-2010, 09:45 AM
hello, i have a 1997 z71 with push button 4x4, it has 2hi 4hi 4lo, no autoshift. does anyone know how to put the transfer case in neutral. i dont have the owners manual and the dealerships here are very un- cooperative, thanks

Why do you want neutral on it or to put in neutral?

Frankp87
02-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Doesn't putting it in 2Hi automatically put in in neutral?

MT-2500
02-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Doesn't putting it in 2Hi automatically put in in neutral?
If it did a lot of people would not be leaving home.:sarcasm1:
Neutral is when it is out of gear.

Frankp87
02-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Guess I didn't understand the OP. Putting a transfer case in neutral will prevent you from going anywhere? Thought in 2Hi only the rear wheels were engaged.

777stickman
02-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Well you got a lot of replies but no good answers.

So here it is out of my '98 Owners manual. Your '97 may be different.

Start the engine. If that's not an option then turn the key to the RUN position. Make sure the t-case is in 2HI and the switch light for 2HI is on and steady.

Press and hold both the 2HI and 4LO buttons for at least 10 secs. The NEUTRAL light should come on. Put the tranny lever in REV for one second and then in DRIVE for one second.

Hope this works for you.

777stickman
02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Guess I didn't understand the OP. Putting a transfer case in neutral will prevent you from going anywhere? Thought in 2Hi only the rear wheels were engaged.

The T-Case is the final drive to both the rear and front. So with the t-case in neutral you can put the tranny in any gear you want and you won't "leave home".

mybad_z71
02-25-2010, 08:18 PM
thnks for the replies, especially you stickman, i tried that and it didnt work. the reason i wanted to put it in neutral is because i got a loud whining noise at 40+ mph, i put the rear end on jackstands and removed the rear driveshaft, had my wife get in and run it to 45mph (as my dumbass) got underneath it to try to find out if it was the tranny ot the t-case, i couldnt tell though. so if im able to put the tcase in neutral and the noise goes away i no its coming from the tcase, if not then i know its the tranny, so rite now im kinda stuck guessing which one it is. stickman, does your pushbutton have a neutral light for the tcase? mine doesnt just a light for 2hi, 4 hi/lo, but there would have to be a way to put it in nuetral right? in the event it had to be towed? thanks again guys.

777stickman
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Ya my '98 Sub has the Neutral light. It is just to the left of the buttons. I also have the Auto 4WD t-case. I think you have to score an owners manual for your truck to figure it out. Maybe try a junk yard for one or a buddy. Also try a google search.

Good luck.

MT-2500
02-26-2010, 09:55 AM
thnks for the replies, especially you stickman, i tried that and it didnt work. the reason i wanted to put it in neutral is because i got a loud whining noise at 40+ mph, i put the rear end on jackstands and removed the rear driveshaft, had my wife get in and run it to 45mph (as my dumbass) got underneath it to try to find out if it was the tranny ot the t-case, i couldnt tell though. so if im able to put the tcase in neutral and the noise goes away i no its coming from the tcase, if not then i know its the tranny, so rite now im kinda stuck guessing which one it is. stickman, does your pushbutton have a neutral light for the tcase? mine doesnt just a light for 2hi, 4 hi/lo, but there would have to be a way to put it in nuetral right? in the event it had to be towed? thanks again guys.

You might pull the encoder motor off and see if there is a neutral position on transfer case shift lever.
To tow it place in 2W and lift rear off ground or remove rear drive shat.
Good luck

777stickman
02-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Did some research for my own info and found the a '97 with the NP1 t-case has no provisions for putting it in neutral.

mybad_z71
02-26-2010, 07:01 PM
thx guys, u r great. stickman thx, thats what i was thinking about no neutral, i just couldnt get hold of the info, thx again guys

Add your comment to this topic!