dash lights, console lights, shifter lights all out 1999 grand am gt

jnorth88
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
all of my dash lights are out except for the warning lights, all of my console lights are out but my clock works during the day so i can see the time and radio station only but it turns off when my headlights turn on, and the lights are out on the shifter. ive checked all the fuses, this happened about a year ago not too long after i got a automatic starter installed so i went to the shop and had them take it out to see if it would fix the problem but nothing changed. im getting tired of not having any lights at night so id appreciate any help.

andretti
02-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Welcome! I've owned 3 G.Ams, great cars.

If you haven't already, check the under hood 15A park lamp and inside 10A instrument lamp fuses.

Next, pull ot the dimmer-fog lamp switch from the dash. It's a friction fit, pry it out. On the dimmer connector is 5 wires. The yellow should have full voltage, black+white ground. If both are o.k. probe the grey wire. It's the variable voltage output to the cluster (and heater, shifter...) lamps.

Most common issue it the variable resistor getting dirty-burnt killing the output from the grey wire. T.V. tuner-electrical contact cleaner works good.

Post back what you find.

jnorth88
03-07-2010, 04:14 PM
sorry it took so long but i checked all those fuses and they were all good. and i pryed out the switch and all the connecters looked clean. if u have any other ideas id appreciate it.

andretti
03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
You need to "test" the harness at the switch for the 12v supply & ground. If that's good then next, probe the gray output to the cluster. It's voltage should vary according to the dimmers position. If it's always dead but your input voltage is good, look at cleaning or replacing the rheostat.

Add your comment to this topic!