Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing Tamiya Primer....

Deejay27
04-13-2003, 02:05 AM
I really screwed up painting my F1 so I went ahead and stripped the Tamiya paint that I sprayed on (rubbing alcohol). Ofcourse the Tamiya primer underneath is not coming off. Will "Castro Super Cleaner" take the primer off? Any suggestions on what I should use to remove this stuff? Thanks.

christofurr
04-13-2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Deejay27
I really screwed up painting my F1 so I went ahead and stripped the Tamiya paint that I sprayed on (rubbing alcohol). Ofcourse the Tamiya primer underneath is not coming off. Will "Castro Super Cleaner" take the primer off? Any suggestions on what I should use to remove this stuff? Thanks.

Just a question. Why do you want to take the primer off? You could just sand it back, and reuse it again for the respray, couldn't you?

Deejay27
04-13-2003, 06:04 AM
When I stripped the paint off it left a mess on the primer. I would have to sand too many pieces just to re-spray. It would be a lot less time consuming/labor intensive to start from scratch plus I would just feel better if I had a "clean canvus" to work on.

daggerlee
04-13-2003, 06:23 AM
CSC will definitely take off the primer. What color are you spraying? If it's a color that isn't affected by the base coat (not red, blue, yellow, white, etc.) you can just sand the primer smooth regardless of how crappy it looks and respray.

chaos
04-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Is there anything else apart from CSC that would strip tamiya primer cos I haven't been able to find it here in Australia? The body has been sitting in brake fluid, but the primer just ain't coming off?

If I were to sand it - would grit would you guys suggest?

Add your comment to this topic!