Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing door mirror cover

deerefeed
02-22-2010, 07:39 AM
1996 Trans Sport: The car wash broke the plastic cover off the outside of the passenger side mirror. It looks as though there were screws holding it on but they are only accessible behind the glass. How do you take the mirror off the power adjustment motor to get at these screws?

LMP
02-23-2010, 06:20 PM
I have one damaged TS mirror in my garage, a '93 TS...verify pictures in www.avigex.ca/xport/mirror
Hope it tells you something...I shot all parts from both sides...but did not try to figure out how all of it was assembled before :headshake. Add a dozen screws and you've got it all..

:mad:...I 'm just seeing several are out of focus....
edit......I think picture 2405 contains what you are looking for but it is hidden ... I'll pay another visit to verify..I think the mirror just pops out from ball like holes. More later...

Jeffrv
02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Do you still have the broken cover? Gm doesn't list cover, just complete mirror. my passenger cover broke a few years ago, looked like a real pain to try to take aparet, so just glued it back on, have had no trouble since.
Jeff

LMP
02-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I agree with Jeffry....glue is good...
anyway, go back to the above link... I've added pictures 2412 to 2417...that shows the mirror pops out of the motor unit, the adjusting screw holes in the motor unit are spring loaded, and the axle pops out of the plastic...but that is easy as I have it already in pieces. Not sure how it would turn out in real life.

deerefeed
02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
I have a full mirror salvaged from a wreck but it doesn't look like it's power adjust (no wiring). Thanks for the photos. I'll pop the mirrors out and switch the cover without removing the mirror from the van.

Add your comment to this topic!