stuck in park when cold????

csprad
02-21-2010, 04:16 PM
I have a 2000 Cavalier. Lately it's been getting stuck in park when its cold. Start fine, runs ok, just won't shift out of park. Once the outside temperature is above 40-50 degrees it's shifts out and drives fine.
18 year old daughters been driving it and I'm concerned she'll ned up stuck in a parking garage somewhere so I really need to solve this problem and get it fixed fast. Help is greatly appreciated!!!

Blue Bowtie
02-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Try disconnecting the shift cable, straightening it out, and cleaning/lubricating the inner cable.

Try routing the cable slightly differently to avoid its "memorized" position and forcing it to operate in a different position. Minimize any sharp bends in the routing.

csprad
02-21-2010, 06:02 PM
I'll give that a try and let ya know how it goes.
Thanks, Bowtie

Helmuth48
02-21-2010, 06:38 PM
This time of year in areas of snow, salt, and lots of moisture, corrosion of the cables under the car is common. If clean/lube/take out the kinks does not work, look for damaged areas on the cable...if so, replace it.

Don't have that problem in SC...just lots of red mud !!!

Cheer Mate !

csprad
02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Ok, disconnected the cable, cleaned and lubricated it. Looked to be in good shape. No damage that i could see. All back together. Now, just have to wait for the temperature to drop again to see what happens. I'll let ya know how it goes.

MrMeCaNiC
03-21-2010, 01:10 PM
third generation cavaliers have an electric solonoid at the shifter that is a 'lockout' device, wired to the brake light switch, wich is why the label on your cluster reads 'apply brake to shift from park' --its a direction; not a suggestion. if the solonoid is dirty or dying, the cold will keep it from working well [kinda like the way old power windows don't work right in winter]
long story short, axe it, or diagnose the electrical issue. it is there just as a safety precation for accidentaly knocking the vehicle into gear.

Add your comment to this topic!