Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Tahoe 5.7 won't start, again...

drburkhart
02-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Humidity causes the Tahoe to misfire, then it just won't start.. Unfortunately, I live in Erie and its humid quite a bit. Mechanic replaced rotor and cleaned moisture from cap last year when this happened, and it ran great for a while.. Started running bad in October, when the weather changed to humid.. Hasn't started since Novemeber! Should I just keep changing the rotor, and cleaning the cap..?? I'm 65 and climbing into that engine compartment isn't easy anymore!! Why hasn't Chevy solved this issue, as I have seen numerous posts on other forums about 'misfires' and starting, all relating to the distributor..?? Is there a recall..??

ps: Plug wires, plugs, rotor/cap, fuel pump/filter, battery have all been changed in the last year or so.. (70,000 one owner miles)

j cAT
02-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Humidity causes the Tahoe to misfire, then it just won't start.. Unfortunately, I live in Erie and its humid quite a bit. Mechanic replaced rotor and cleaned moisture from cap last year when this happened, and it ran great for a while.. Started running bad in October, when the weather changed to humid.. Hasn't started since Novemeber! Should I just keep changing the rotor, and cleaning the cap..?? I'm 65 and climbing into that engine compartment isn't easy anymore!! Why hasn't Chevy solved this issue, as I have seen numerous posts on other forums about 'misfires' and starting, all relating to the distributor..?? Is there a recall..??

ps: Plug wires, plugs, rotor/cap, fuel pump/filter, battery have all been changed in the last year or so.. (70,000 one owner miles)

water/mositure getting into the cap could be windshield washer hose leaking or the a/c evaporator refrigerant line dripping on it..

if the a/c evap line runs near the distributor cap put pipe insulation around this tubing..

on my boat engine I use silcone grease on the base of the cap ..this keeps water from entering the cap...

also use silicone grease on your plug wire boot ends ..

drburkhart
02-22-2010, 05:22 PM
water/mositure getting into the cap could be windshield washer hose leaking or the a/c evaporator refrigerant line dripping on it..

if the a/c evap line runs near the distributor cap put pipe insulation around this tubing..I am going to change out the cap/rotor first chance I get.. I noticed that A/C line.. directly over the cap.. Will insulate that immediately!

on my boat engine I use silcone grease on the base of the cap ..this keeps water from entering the cap...

also use silicone grease on your plug wire boot ends ..Will do this on the Tahoe.. Amazingly enough, I have a 1985 Searay with twin 350's and never had an issue, but will do it on the Tahoe.. THANKS...:p

Add your comment to this topic!