Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'01 SC1 won't start reliably

hunter4782
02-20-2010, 09:06 PM
ok, so its an 01 SC1 has 147k miles +/- automatic and it is picky about when it starts.
the problem started with not starting at all. the battery had just been replaced and the mechanic ruled out or slated the starter since pushing it a few feet and trying it didn't do anything. no noise so its not trying to start at all, the mechanic came out and found that if you put it into another gear and shift it hard into park it will start. so it was decided that it was the neutral safety switch.
replaced that and while at the shop all was fine but my guess would be that they didn't play with it enough because when i picked it up i had to limp back because the slight bit of adjustment room the NSS had kept it from leaving first gear every so often. they adjusted that and I left thinking all was well. Now if I slowly shift gears (not slamming it) into park, it won't start so I have to run the routine of putting it into a gear and shifting it firmly into park, then it starts up.
A friend of mine was thinking it could be the shifter cable is stretched, any thoughts on that or any other possible solutions?
I'm not particularly mechanically inclined but many things I can figure out with some playing under the hood and solid instructions. assuming it is the cable is that something I should leave to the experts?

Add your comment to this topic!