Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car died with P0101

00GTP4ME
02-20-2010, 04:06 PM
:disappoin

Today my wife took the GTP to go to buy some shoes and after about a mile she went to turn right at an intersection and the car died. She pulled over and tried to start it again a few times. Sometimes it would start and then die, other times it wouldn't even start, but the engine would turn over just fine. She waited until I got there and tried starting it again. This time it started, but the engine seemed to struggle and sputter a little bit. We pulled in the parking lot and the SES light came on. I went and grabbed my code reader and it was a P0101.
The other thing that was odd was the fact that once we pulled in the parking lot and shut the car off, this strong smell came in the car that was close to what gas smells like, just a little different. I had changed the fuel filter two weeks ago, so I got under the car and searched for leaks. Everything looked fine there.

Instead of risking having it stranding us in a worse situation, I decided to have it towed to the shop (insurance paid for it). So on Monday, we'll see what they say.

In the meantime, any ideas as to what could cause this? I did some poking around and from what I read, if it was a bad MAF, it wouldn't necessarily cause drivability issues like this which is what is really throwing me.
The fuel smell was weird too. It occurred to me that the engine maybe got a little flooded from my wife trying to start it so many times, I'm not sure. Anyway, any input or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks all!

tblake
02-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Wow, you are always having issues with your 2000 GTP, mine just keeps on going! It needs a new PS pump, and the pulleys are starting to make noise, and tires should be purchased soon, but other than that, mine just keeps on going and going and going (like the energizer bunny).

P0101 = Mass Air flow Range

You could give unplugging the MAF a try.

BNaylor
02-21-2010, 08:54 AM
On the P0101 DTC MAF issue getting a strong smell of fuel is common and even getting black smoke out the exhaust system if it starts so your symptom(s) is typical.

There is a clear flood mode. Accelerator pedal 3/4 to full and it will sense and kick in that PCM mode. But the MAF sensor should be replaced first.

For Tim. :rofl:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/bunny.jpg

00GTP4ME
02-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Wow, you are always having issues with your 2000 GTP, mine just keeps on going! It needs a new PS pump, and the pulleys are starting to make noise, and tires should be purchased soon, but other than that, mine just keeps on going and going and going (like the energizer bunny).

P0101 = Mass Air flow Range

You could give unplugging the MAF a try.

Well pin a rose on your nose Mr. Carrunsgood. :smokin: The first two years that I owned this car, I don't think I spent a penny on a repair outside routine maintenance. The last year and a half, however, have been horrible for repairs. I don't know what the deal is. :disappoin Enjoy it while it lasts, that's all I can say.

The way I figure it, I'm fulfilling a divine purpose here on AF. I'm having all these hundreds of problems so that others can read of my misfortune and be able to know exactly what do to. :runaround:

On the P0101 DTC MAF issue getting a strong smell of fuel is common and even getting black smoke out the exhaust system if it starts so your symptom(s) is typical.

There is a clear flood mode. Accelerator pedal 3/4 to full and it will sense and kick in that PCM mode. But the MAF sensor should be replaced first.

So Bob, would you guess that this is simply a case of the MAF sensor going bad and needing to be replaced? Any other other issues that might be piggy-backing with this scenario (typically)?

tblake
02-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Sorry guy's, I didn't mean to tick you off. I did have suspension issues and a rack and pinion go out on me. But other than that, not too bad.

BNaylor
02-21-2010, 09:59 AM
So Bob, would you guess that this is simply a case of the MAF sensor going bad and needing to be replaced? Any other other issues that might be piggy-backing with this scenario (typically)?

You're fortunate to get a MAF related DTC like the P0101. The other common ones are P0102 or P0103. Many members don't even get that. No doubt in my mind your MAF sensor is bad based on the symptoms and giving off the P0101 DTC. I had the same issue and symptoms with the wife's '99 Regal LS several years ago. Try to stay with the OE GM sensor if possible. Pass on A1 Cardone reman units. I got a GM one from a local salvage yard for $40.00.

Here's an old post for nostalgic reference going back about 5 years from the Buick Regal forum. He was dead in the water at a shopping mall.

Click here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=393066&highlight=maf+smoke)

BNaylor
02-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Sorry guy's, I didn't mean to tick you off. I did have suspension issues and a rack and pinion go out on me. But other than that, not too bad.

"Its all good" Tim. :lol:

Sorry for the hi-jack and speaking of rack & pinion issues I have a weird one with the '02 Alero GL2 we have. The driver's side rack mounting bolt to the subframe keeps on getting loose so the steering and alignment gets all whacky feeling. I thought it was a bad rack & pinion assembly and checked with Rich on the price. The original rack & pinion was replaced under the bumper to bumper warranty several years ago so maybe some shoddy install work from the dealership finally showing up or maybe the bad New York roads since it was there for a few years. I can't get the bolt tight enough with regular hand tools and there is no torque spec in the GM Helm Alero Service Manual for these specific bolts. When I move the wheel at the 12, 6 or 3 and 9 o'clock positions after jacking it up I can see the rack at that part where it connects to the intermediate shaft moving. The subframe mounts look good too with little or no rust. I guess I'll have to drop the subframe so I can easily access the bolt and use an air impact driver. Then have the front end alignment checked. :banghead:

tblake
02-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Odd problem indeed! Do the alero's have rack and pinion bushings?

Ondemand lists 81 ft/lbs on a "steering gear mounting bolt" for an 02 alero 3400.

Whether or not a "steering gear" means rack and pinion is anyones guess. When I think of "steering gears" I think of conventional power steering like on an older 97 chevy k1500. LOL!

Will thread locker do any good down there?

00GTP4ME
02-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, I just heard back from the shop and so far it looks like the MAF was the problem (another point for Bob ;)).

They called me this morning and said when they started it up, it was running really rough and filling the shop up with smoke. They started poking around and did some tests on the MAF, fuel system pressure, regulator, etc. Well, I keep a snot rag wedged by my air box for when I check the oil, etc. Somehow that stupid thing (stupid me) fell down in front of the air box intake and was restricting the air flow. They moved it out of the way and the car started to run just fine. They watched the MAF readings and everything was within range. Well after a minute or two they said the car started dying again and the MAF readings went all over the place. So he said it was either the MAF, or my computer was bad and that there would be no way to tell for sure without just replacing one or both. So I had him put in a brand new AC Delco MAF and they said all readings looked good, the car runs fine and continued to run fine with a test drive. So hopefully there's nothing wrong with the computer and that is the end of this issue. :rolleyes:

BNaylor
02-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Odd problem indeed! Do the alero's have rack and pinion bushings?

Ondemand lists 81 ft/lbs on a "steering gear mounting bolt" for an 02 alero 3400.

Whether or not a "steering gear" means rack and pinion is anyones guess. When I think of "steering gears" I think of conventional power steering like on an older 97 chevy k1500. LOL!

Will thread locker do any good down there?

Tim, from the parts pics of the rack and pinion and checking with Rich no rubber bushings or metal sleeves for the two bolts. Around 80-90 lb-ft sounds about right to me. The problem is when regular hand tools to include hand type torque wrench you can't get the tool into the tight area to properly check torque. The rear of the subframe has to be dropped to do that. I tried threadlocker and no go.

tblake
02-22-2010, 08:31 PM
1000 bucks and I'll take it off your hands! LOL.

BNaylor
02-24-2010, 07:20 AM
1000 bucks and I'll take it off your hands! LOL.

:lol:

Ha! Ha!. It is worth alot more than that Tim. The issue is repairable. Too bad that Alero you were looking at was thrashed but for $800 probably a good fixer upper.

Well, I just heard back from the shop and so far it looks like the MAF was the problem (another point for Bob ;)).

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully you've got your issues taken care of for now. Just cross your fingers or pray. :uhoh:......:lol:

tblake
02-24-2010, 10:02 AM

Ha! Ha!. It is worth alot more than that Tim. The issue is repairable. Too bad that Alero you were looking at was thrashed but for $800 probably a good fixer upper.

Yeah I was just seeing what you would say about my offer. :lol2:

Some dorky kid I work with had a 99 alero given to him by a family member. I guess it needs a new front spring and thats it. He was on break one night talking about it when I over heard. Apparently it has less than 100k, 4-door, 2.4 4 cylinder (puke), power windows and locks....

After hearing about it, I just said "500 cash right now for it, lets go to the ATM". The dork looked at me for about 5 minutes trying to firgure out if I was serious and if he was going to take my offer. Then he walked away. The next day we crossed paths and he goes "are you going to buy my car? 2g and its yours". I just looked at him and laughed. I told him 2g would be a fair price for a 4 cylinder alero if the suspension was in good shape. I walked. Half hour later he walked up to me and goes 1500 and it is yours. I said no thanks. I wont see him again untill thursday so maybe he'll be hard up for some cash and willing to sell for what I want to pay. He doesn't understand that I don't need a car, so I'm not in any hurry. Not to mention with that crappy quad-4 varient 4 cylinder in it, I'd probably fix the suspension, and sell it for a decent price to make some money before it throws a rod. If he comes down to maybe 1000, I'll consider, but I'd have to see it first to make sure the body isn't beat to crap and it wasn't smoked in. Anything past 1000, and there isn't much money to be made off it after I have to pay for parts and sales tax, title and transfir fees, and things like that.

Hows that for a thread hijack?

00GTP4ME
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Hows that for a thread hijack?

Best one I've ever seen! Of course it had to be on my thread! :lol2:

Car is driving good by the way. Not to re-jack or anything. :lol:

I bet if you offer that kid $1000 and a package of unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, he'd take you up on it. :jump3:

doctorhrdware
02-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Or maybe a double cheeseburger from buger king with a cherry on top.

BNaylor
02-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Yeah I was just seeing what you would say about my offer. :lol2:

Here is my counter offer. $6200 firm! Mileage 72991. Fully loaded less sunroof. Galaxy silver. 4 door.

GL2 version meaning it has the Grand AM GT handling, suspension and wheel package. DHP PCM, S&S ceramic coated headers, FWI with S&S cone filter, 62mm throttle body, 2.5" downpipe with Magnaflow 2.5" in/out CAT converter, Pacesetter Monza CATBack 2.5" dual exhaust system, 16" Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires.

Even with the demise of Oldsmobile interesting it still has value. :grinyes:

tblake
02-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Even trade for an 00 GTP! 3800 Supercharged! Loaded! All Highway miles!!!!!! I'd even drive down south to make the swap!

00GTP4ME
02-27-2010, 10:52 AM
So Bob, I have a question...

When was the last time you started your own thread? And to take it a step further, when was the last time you started a thread in which you were asking for advice or help? I got to thinking and I don't know that I've ever seen one! Do you really like spending all your time on here as the good samaritan? :iceslolan I think I have a new avatar for you:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QfVWU-2pVL4/SraLstD_utI/AAAAAAAAIWg/31juUZ-KNl4/s1600/obi-wan-kenobi-01-large.jpg

Bob, the GTP Master. :iceslolan

BNaylor
02-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Even trade for an 00 GTP! 3800 Supercharged! Loaded! All Highway miles!!!!!! I'd even drive down south to make the swap!

Sorry Tim. No deal! We plan on keeping her and doing some more mods. Stage II/III. :jerking:

So Bob, I have a question...

When was the last time you started your own thread? And to take it a step further, when was the last time you started a thread in which you were asking for advice or help? I got to thinking and I don't know that I've ever seen one! Do you really like spending all your time on here as the good samaritan? :iceslolan I think I have a new avatar for you:

Bob, the GTP Master. :iceslolan

Thanks! I like Yoda. :lol:

Most of the threads at our Tips & Maintenance subforum are mine. When I come across a problem of my own on any of my vehicles I just tackle and fix it but try to document or remember as much as I can for others. It helps to have your own GM service manuals, some formal automotive education and over 35 years experience plus actually owning the respective make and model car helps.

Does being a Good Samaritan mean getting in to the Pearly Gates of Heaven?

BTW - The best non-auto forum related "GS" experience I had was when a hot looking gal didn't have any tire changing tools to replace her flat tire at a 7/11 store. Of course I helped her out and she even gave me her phone number but I never took her up on the offer since my old lady would get upset. :uhoh:......:lol:

tblake
02-28-2010, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=BNaylor;6115381]Sorry Tim. No deal! We plan on keeping her and doing some more mods. Stage II/III. :jerking:

Aw, Shucks! Can I still drive down to Texas to get out of the bad MN weather?

Add your comment to this topic!