Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Progress of my Hardtop Eclipse

vanilla gorilla
02-19-2010, 03:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXjWWsNFJwk

ned032002
02-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Getting her done!!1!

How soon do you think you'll have the paint sprayed and ready to get her all back together?

SilvrEclipse
02-20-2010, 08:53 AM
looks good man. Looks familiar 1 guy working and 2 guys watching. lol
Why are you stripping it all the way to the metal?

vanilla gorilla
02-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Getting her done!!1!

How soon do you think you'll have the paint sprayed and ready to get her all back together?

It wont take me anytime to finish the filler work, and finish stripping it. The only things left to strip right now are the roof, doors and whats left on the rear quarters. I can finish the stripping in a few hours. But I have got to get my instructor to weld up the holes in the hatch, and help me take the glasses out, so It just depends how long it takes him to do that, that will determine how long it will be before I prime it....again.

Jason:
If you remember from my original post on the car, I have already taken it down to bare metal once.
When I bought the car is was an old show car with a molded in blitz kit and candy green paint over a yellow base. The clear was popping off the car and there were atleast 6 layers of old paint on the car, and I was not about to sacrifice the quality and longevity of my paint job, spraying it over a bad foundation. So the car went down to bare metal, and I sprayed it with a self etch primer. Then the car sat in my back yard for close to 2 years....so, back to square one....not going to sacrifice the quality of my paint job by painting over a bad foundation. So its going down to bare metal again, but this time it will be prepped even better. I am going to spray a wash primer over the entire car to properly treat the bare metal, and while its still tacky I will go over that with a high-build. This car is going to be right..... I have spent almost $1000 in just tools. I will have another $200 in just primers, and $400 in the top coats. I'm not sure if I have told anyone the plans for the color, but if not...I'm not telling. It is going to be something unique, and there will be no chance that anyone else has the exact same color.

I will work on the car again Tuesday and I will be sure to post up pics in the build thread.

SilvrEclipse
02-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Yea thats probably a good idea then. When I shaved the wiper and sprayer out of my hatch I didn't weld up the holes. I backed them with a piece of metal and then fiberglasses them, I didnt want to weld them up and risk distorting the sheet metal on the hatch, I have never has any issues with this. And also I wouldn't take out the hatch glass either. You can remove the weather stripping around it and then you can just tape the edge of the glass off and cover with paper. Would save you some time from taking it out and putting it back in. Just something you may want to consider

vanilla gorilla
02-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Its not the paint lines I'm worried about, that I have to take out the glass. I have some other issues. You repainted your hatch?

SilvrEclipse
02-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Yea I did back in hs. Also did the side skirts. I took autobody for 2 years so wanted to paint something. And I wanted my rear wiper/sprayer shaved out. The paint turned out great but the paint store mixed the paint on my hatch wrong so its just a touch off. Side skirts match great, didn't paint them at the same time so I had paint mixed twice

vanilla gorilla
02-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Sweet deal. Im ready to get all the work done, just so I can spray it. I've been itching to spray something lately.

Add your comment to this topic!