Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 2.8 Timing Chain Woes- Advise needed!

19k40rocky
02-18-2010, 09:14 PM
My son's 89 GP with 2.8L started to "not run right" one morning. I went to go get it and it sounded like the lifters were all clattering and it would barely pull itself up onto the car dolly. I got it home and suspected a timing chain. I took the cover off and found it had jumped about 3 teeth and the dampener was missing plastic that was ground up in the bottom of the cover. Since it is an old car and I had just put a new fuel pump, ignition control module, crank sensor, tires, wheel hubs, ball joints and front struts on it in the past 12 months. I thought since it was running still I might have got lucky that I didn't bend a bunch of valves and could just put a new chain and dampener on it and could just use it to drive back and forth to work in town and try to drive it out of it the best I could. I put it back together and it started. It sounded like one of the valves is probably bent but seemed to run fairly smooth. The problem is that if you try to drop it in gear and apply load to it, it will immediately stall and die. You have to push on the gas pedal to get it to start after that. You can rev it up ok when it is not in gear unless you let it idle for a minute then if you try to rev it up it will just stall and die. I'm pretty sure I timed it right per the Haynes manual. Both marks at the top with a line thru the center of everything. Can't seem to find any vacuum lines off. Anyone got any ideas of what I missed? I hate to junk this thing just yet. I'd really appreciate any help you could give me.

krivasauto
02-19-2010, 05:39 AM
I'd really appreciate any help you could give me.Do basic diagnosis - get a compression tester and test compression, get a vacuum gauge and check it running, get a leak-down tester and check for leaks. Otherwise you're just guessing, and so would anyone here.

Add your comment to this topic!