Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2010 Santa Fe

akboss
02-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Me and my wife just got back from a test drive of the newly refreshed 2010 Santa Fe's, and came back very impressed. So impressed, in fact, we decided to buy one. We opted for the newly revised 3.5L V6, because the power felt more suited to the vehicle, and because the mileage was so close to the new 2.4L I4. The little four was impressive, especially through the ultra-smooth 6-speed auto, but it just seemed to me like it was working too hard when pushed. Anyways, I would be interested to hear from any other owners of the new Santa Fe's (either I4 or V6) what kind of mileage you're getting. We haven't taken delivery yet, but I have read some drivers claiming almost 30 mpg highway and 20 mixed, with others saying as low as 17.5 mixed. I'm hoping to get more like 20-23 mixed, but we'll see.

Also, anybody else drive the 2010 refreshed models? I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

Cheers.

rodeo02
02-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm hoping to get more like 20-23 mixed, but we'll see.

Those sound like realistic expectations, but there's not a lot of data on the 2010's yet. 4cyl or V6, I'd expect 19-21 mixed and 22-24 steady highway travel. (avg out of a full tank, not avg per dash readout) These are not, nor are they intended to be fuel efficient vehicles. They're large, tall and high off the ground. That said, I love my 2008 GLS AWD 2.7L. I average 19.5mpg tank/tank in the winter and 21.5mpg warmer months. This is nearly all highway driving. You definitely pay up with fuel costs to be off the ground with a larger, safer, more versatile vehicle. You'll love a SF if that's what you're in the market for.

Joel

akboss
02-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Those sound like realistic expectations, but there's not a lot of data on the 2010's yet. 4cyl or V6, I'd expect 19-21 mixed and 22-24 steady highway travel. (avg out of a full tank, not avg per dash readout) These are not, nor are they intended to be fuel efficient vehicles. They're large, tall and high off the ground. That said, I love my 2008 GLS AWD 2.7L. I average 19.5mpg tank/tank in the winter and 21.5mpg warmer months. This is nearly all highway driving. You definitely pay up with fuel costs to be off the ground with a larger, safer, more versatile vehicle. You'll love a SF if that's what you're in the market for.

Joel

Thanks for the response, Joel.

I'll report back when I get some numbers, but I figure they will be a bit off with a new vehicle as well. Did you notice your mileage got better after about 1000 miles? Maybe it takes even more mileage on the clock and the parts really start to gel and smooth out.

21.5 with the AWD is pretty impressive. I guess the vehicle has a tendency to engage the rear wheels more in winter, combined with lower temperatures would contribute to the lower mileage.

To be honest, I'm a car guy, and prefer the feeling of being lower and nimbler than these tall SUV's, but especially with the SF, you are getting a lot of vehicle for your money. We found that Hyundai just offers a genuinely well-built car that isn't overly complicated but offers a lot of standard equipment. I was happy to see that, especially in GL form, Hyundai opted not to include electronic wizardry like push-button start, rain-sensing wipers, or all that other crap that's going to cost you an arm and a leg when it fails later down the road. The warranty is a nice touch too, hard to beat 5 years 100K comp.

Aaron.

rodeo02
02-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Aaron, I picked mine up used w/ 40Kmi on the ticker last year, so she was well broken in. I just hate to see people lured into a false sense of fuel economy, even with these high output 4 bangers w/ zillion speed automagics. Import or domestic, it's just not going to happen with this size/type of vehicle no matter what the OEMs say. This is my first Hyundai product and as a car guy myself, I do have to say I'm impressed with the build quality, feel/fit/finish and ease of serviceability of my 2008. It does not have go-cart like handling characteristics like even a large Honda has, but it's not bad. I've got some "servicing" posts on this board if you want to get a feel for the drivetrain mechanicals.

Joel

akboss
03-08-2010, 08:07 AM
We have racked up 1250 Km's on the Santa now, and seem to be averaging close to 10.5 L/100 Km (22.5 MPG) in fairly cold weather, mixed driving city and highway. That isn't bad for a V6. I'm hoping that by the time the first service rolls around at 6000 Km and the weather warms up a bit, she will be running at about 25 mpg, but maybe that's being hopeful.

rodeo02
03-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Good info Aaron. ~22mpg is really good!

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!