Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bolt that holds wiper arm to motor keeps coming loose..

shelzmike
02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey all - please note that my terminology may be off, but you will get the gist anyhow.

I have a 2000 Olds Silhouette van that has had a very annoying and potentially dangerous problem since I bought it that I cannot seem to fix.

There is a bolt that holds the wiper arms to the wiper motor - a little star screw really - that keeps coming loose, causing the wipers to stop working (and it always happens when it is raining! :rofl: ).

In most cases, I can just tighten it back - really tight - and it will stay put for a while, but always come back apart. But if there is any snow or anything that is not completely clear they immediately stop working because of the loosened screw.

On a side note, at resting position, they are never fully down - the arms are about halfway up the window; however, when they are working, they never extend beyond where they are supposed to.

Now however, I cannot get them to stay put no matter how hard I tighten the bolt. I have tried threadlocker and it did absolulutely no good.

Another question I have is how long is that bolt supposed to be? It doesn't look broken at all, but it is only about a half an inch long and that is it. Perhaps someone might have replaced it with one too small or something?

Any suggestions on how to correct this? It doesn't feel stripped really as it tightens well when I have to turn it. Thanks!

Mike

roadrunner2
02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Are you the original owner?

Judging from your post I'm going to suggest that motor has been replaced before, but the gap setting (required to 'PARK' the wipers) wasn't set correctly.

Perhaps the screw(s)? has been changed, but if it holds when tighted hard, you could try holding it down with a hose clamp over it. There are two bolts/screws holding the two together.

No guarantee though and certainly no repair for the real thing.

I used to own a van same as yours but, the only thing left behind is the Haynes repair manual I'm looking at, so I can't eyeball the linkage in real time.

shelzmike
02-15-2010, 11:22 PM
No, I am not the original owner. I am not sure what is going on. I noticed today that there is another hole on the "backside" (the part closest to the passenger side when the wipers are parked) of the actual plate that the arms are connected to. Underneath that (on the motor) there is a hole for another scew to go into, but there is no screw. I do know that a screw does not go through the plate into that hole on the motor - otherwise it will not turn at all. I have not pulled out my manual yet to check it out, but there has got to be something I am missing!

Thanks for the reply!

Mike

roadrunner2
02-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Mike,

One way you should be able to tell what goes where is at a recycle yard. It won't matter if it is a Silo or Venture as the wiper motors and linkage are the same.

shelzmike
02-18-2010, 11:01 PM
That is a good idea - there is one just down the road here and I know they have at least one Venture. I'll have to check it out.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!