clicking under dashboard

Lionel Lee
02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
i have a 2003 grand am gt and there is a clicking in under the dashboard that won't stop , it sounds like its the signal light switch that is clicking .....can i get some to solve this problem,,,,,,.....thanks

grfnkl
02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
The ticking noise you are hearing are more then likely the turn signal switch or the hazard switch. Both are possible causes. This is quite common on all 99+ grand am's. you may want to check with your local dealer to see if you car is covered by any recalls for this. I'm not sure if GM extended the recall on this to include the rest of the 2002.5's+. Originally 99-01 where recalled and then they included the early model 02's.

kal643
02-24-2010, 08:35 PM
i have an 03 grand am and it does the same thing. it is the flasher relay doing the clicking. i replaced it and it still did it. i just ordered turn signal and windshield controls to replace. my buddy's dad works at a pontiac mech. shop. that what he told me to do.

thephantom1492
04-09-2010, 11:49 PM
The flasher arm is known to cause problems and pontiac refuse to recall them, or even fix their new part!

What is happening is that there is a bad contact, and the flasher go crasy...

What happened to me was that it started to click twice faster than normal... Moving the arm a bit was at first fixing it temporrary..

After a while thing got worse, it was almost impossible to make it stop until...
... Until I was driving and smoke came off the column ! The bad contact burned some grease.. nothing bad, but seeing a column of smoke ain't funny, specially while driving.

What I did is: removed the arm assembly and sprayed lots of contact cleaner zero residue. Once done, I put it back in and no problem since then. Been about a year since I fixed it :D

Total repair cost? 4.95+tx ($cad at that)

rtobrian
04-10-2010, 08:26 AM
My 2002 had the same issue. I bought a mulit-function switch at Napa for around $100. That was a couple years ago and no problems since.

Add your comment to this topic!