2000 Kia Sportage starting problem

bbutchart63
02-14-2010, 02:13 AM
After a long trip this past December 2009 our Kia Sportage started getting hard to start and was eventually getting worse. When it finally would start the car ran great .Well from past experience with cars and trucks the light bulb in my brain came on. CHECK THE AIR FILTER.....It was dirty. Well I installed a new air filter and it starts almost immediately. So guys and gals, sometimes its the simplest things that can cause the biggest problems. Now, had I taken that to a Kia dealer they would have hooked it up to all their electronic gadgets and would have found nothing wrong and I would have been $149.00 plus taxes poorer. So, if you are having starting problems with any vehicle, just maybe check that air filter. You might save yourself that costly rate the shops charge now days.:thinkerg:

LMP
02-14-2010, 03:05 PM
....well...dirty it must have been!...what were the road conditions of your last trip?..IN any case, the lesson is clear and practical: simple things first.

bbutchart63
02-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Time does fly by and one sort of forgets some things when doing other regular maintainance, like oil changes, brakes, spark plugs etc. It had been a while since the filter was changed, it didn't appear that bad, but enough to cause starting problems.
All be it, we did have a very dry spring-summer-fall last year and perhaps a lot of unnoticed dust in the air along with heavy pollen last spring. I thought there may be an airflow sensor on this vehicle, but I guess not.

Add your comment to this topic!