Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

STUMPED! Heater Click - Braking Click

MSimpson
02-12-2010, 10:23 PM
So the other day I noticed a small clicking noise originating from the passenger side front/dash area. I thought it was my brakes because while braking the clicking would get louder. So, I decided to change my brakes because of this, and sure enough that wasn't the problem.

What I discovered today was the clicking only happens when I have my heater on. The clicking now happens all the time either while in drive or parked as long as I have my blower on 1. If I turn up the blower to 2, 3, or 4 the click doesn't get any louder. But while braking with the heater on 1 the clicking noise grows much louder.

Any help would be helpful! Thanks!

Oh yeah 2008 Malibu LS 48,000 miles.

consultIII
02-12-2010, 10:39 PM
does the ticking noise frequency increase with fan speed? sometimes the blower bearings get dry and tick at slow speed.

listen by the blower motor with a mechanic's stethoscope. If its from the blower; remove and inspect and run while its removed from the hvac case. Make sure something hasn't fallen into it or a rodent isn't building a nest.

MSimpson
02-13-2010, 02:52 AM
No the frequency doesn't increase with can speed. I don't have a stethoscope and to be honest I wouldn't know what I was listening for anyway. I was hoping something easy, but it sounds like it's going to be tough.

consultIII
02-13-2010, 07:50 PM
No the frequency doesn't increase with can speed. I don't have a stethoscope and to be honest I wouldn't know what I was listening for anyway. I was hoping something easy, but it sounds like it's going to be tough.

you should be listening for the clicking noise when its occuring; trying to isolate its source by finding where it is loudest.

oldblu65
02-14-2010, 07:53 AM
It's possible something ( ie - paper , etc. ) has been placed on the dash and it fell down and has become lodged in the defroster vents . Have you checked them ?

MSimpson
02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
No. I religiously don't place stuff on the dash, because it causes distraction for me. The crazy thing is I didn't hear it yesterday while driving.

Johnny R
02-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Could be leaves or leaf stem came in from the bottom of the windshield. Takes a while sometimes for them to work their way into the squirrel cage.

Add your comment to this topic!