Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

05 Dakota Wont Start Help

unomaha1221
02-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4WD 3.7 V6, 53,000 miles. About one month ago now the truck was taken into the shop with a knock in the engine. Turned out one of the rockers was off center in a valve, leading to carbon buildup. Essentially all 6 valves were replaced as a result. Additionally, the head gasket, exhaust manifold and transmission lines were also replaced. Transmission fluid was flushed and the engine received a tune up.

About five days after receiving the vehicle back I went out to start it one day and it wouldn't start. The truck turned over just fine, for a split second it would sound like the engine was going to start and then go back to just turning over. I would have the same result on subsequent tries. It has happened on four or five occasions now. Sometimes after four or five tries I would finally get it to start. A few times I let it sit for a day or so and then went back and it started again. Once the truck started I would not have this problem again, for a few days, maybe a week. I have no inclination as to when the problem occurs, it just seem to come and go on its own.

I returned to the dealer today as I am pretty ticked off it's still happening. I foolishly hoped it would just go away. Before having the truck in the first time this never happened once. It has only been since I got it back. They performed a 3 hr pressure test on the fuel system with no external leak appearing. Dealer also indicated that there was a pressure drop from 55 to 25 PSI in the tank, and said that's a little abnormal. Dealer said they can't say for sure, but it could be beginning of a fuel pump going bad.

Has anyone experienced this? Any clues as to what it may be? I am at a loss and would find any help useful. While the dealer wont diagnose a thing I would like to be confident in what I am driving and that it wont strand me in the middle of no where. Thank you.

privaterswifty
04-03-2010, 12:46 AM
well i have a 05 as well and I think my fuel pump has gone out... my step father told me to take off the air filter and spray some started fluid in there and see if it starts right up then it would be a pump prob sry i cant help out much....

Add your comment to this topic!