Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

scangauge 2

chrissbee77
02-12-2010, 12:59 PM
HI I have a 01 pontiac grand prix 3.8 n/s. I have all but given up on making my gt convert to digital display. 2 faulty DIC's ebay. and i was wondering if anyone has hear of or knows anyone that has used this product that i found on amazon. it will tell me the same thing that the digital display from a gtp will tell you. its called a scangauge 2. http://www.scangauge.com/.. what do you guys think. unless someone lives close to st.louis i will pay you to convert my car to digital DIC or else im going to spend some cash and just get this thing...thanks guys,:lol2:

tblake
02-13-2010, 07:47 PM
I was looking at that for a while too. I thought it might be neat to get one that will fit into the compartment next to the steering wheel column that is empty. That scanguage is actually going to be more accurate and tell you a lot more than the digital DIC.

Have you seen this? You can get these in red and an 'A' pillar guage mount and it will look stock.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=878&catid=107

And, just curious, did you see my thread on how to convert your analog DIC over to digital in the tips and maintenance subforum?

BNaylor
02-13-2010, 09:12 PM
That scanguage is actually going to be more accurate and tell you a lot more than the digital DIC.

My question is how accurate is it and is it better than the average hand held scan tool even though it has other features?

Tim, actually GM took care of that issue with the '04 and up GPs especially if you have the enhanced DICs found in the GTP, Comp G, GT and GXP. Now that would be a good conversion but probably impossible. :grinyes:

My DIC tells me and does alot more than the aftermarket one shown and obviously blows away the ones in the '97-'03 models. Even gives off emissions systems fault although it does not read out the specific DTC. The new DICs do so much or have so many features I can't list all it does.

tblake
02-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Tim, actually GM took care of that issue with the '04 and up GPs especially if you have the enhanced DICs found in the GTP, Comp G, GT and GXP. Now that would be a good conversion but probably impossible. :grinyes:

Na! Have you seen some of the electrical stuff I have done? A 2000 GTP says I could make it work! :smokin:

J/K! I only drove an 06 GXP once so I didn't really get a chance to play with all the toys. The DIC and even the HUD seemed way better than previous years. Your making me jealous!!!!! :rolleyes:

How was the snow down your way recently Bob? Thought I heard the Dallas area got a couple inches.

BNaylor
02-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Na! Have you seen some of the electrical stuff I have done? A 2000 GTP says I could make it work! :smokin:

If you can get a PCM from the '04 and up to work in a '97-'03 more power to you. :wink:

No snow here Tim. It bypassed us. Just sunny skies as usual and warm for winter. We did get some snow over the past few months for a few days but it didn't last.

tblake
02-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah I was just kidding. It would probably never work, and I would waste my time and money. Just being a smart@$$!

I am so jealous of your car and of your weather. I havn't even been able to wash my car for a month or so.

BNaylor
02-13-2010, 09:52 PM
:lol:

I washed the GXP about 3 weeks ago and it is still clean but I keep it in my garage.

Try to find a good job down here and move. At least to the Sunbelt area. If you had a background in military vehicle maintenance and repair you could get a good paying job in no time. Or in defense electronics and computer systems. My company is hiring hundreds of qualified applicants over the next 5 years.

doctorhrdware
02-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Computer systems it is not a hard job to do.

tblake
02-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Bob, I wish I could. Just seems like too much of a gamble. Plus I've got no military background, or computer back ground. Only auto repair.

Me and a couple friends were thinking about taking out a business loan and buying an auto shop in a rich part of MN. I guess it has 5 stalls, a paint booth, and an alignment rack. Plus all the tire machines, and air and ventallation system. It would be perfect for us because me and one friend have a degree in auto mech, and our other friend just finished an auto body degree. The shop is selling for 300,000 right now, but I have been keeping an eye on it to see if it drops. Talk about a gamble, blow my life savings plus a lot more and my credit score. But if business is good, we could get that loan paid back in no time.

BNaylor
02-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Thats a big risk in this current economy. Plus partnerships usually don't work out in the long run Tim. :grinno:

And don't forget the scan tools investment like a GM Tech 2 and general and specialized automotive mechanic's tools.

tblake
02-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Thats a big risk in this current economy. Plus partnerships usually don't work out in the long run Tim. :grinno:

And don't forget the scan tools investment like a GM Tech 2 and general and specialized automotive mechanic's tools.

True that!

Thats why I am leary of it. But the tools, once I own a business, I could write them off on taxes as a business expense.

Anyways, back on topic!!!!! :lol2:

chrissbee77
02-14-2010, 11:51 PM
:lol2:tBLAKE : heres a line that came to mind

There's no reason to be the richest man in the cemetery. You can't do any business from there.

Spend your money open your shop and then you can fix my grand prix..convert it to DIC ill be your first customer:lol2:

tblake
02-15-2010, 10:25 AM
HAHA! You wouldn't want to drive all the way to MN for that!

I don't want to be rich, I just want to own a nice house with an attached heated in the counrty with maybe an acre or two, and a pull shed for all my toys (which includes a 1967 pontiac GTO convertible, Red with black leather interior and black convertible top).

Then I'd be happy.

doctorhrdware
02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
How about 6 acres with a heated poll barn that has enough room for 6 cars and a heated detached 3 car garage all for $65K.

tblake
02-15-2010, 02:00 PM
what? Places like that around here sell for 200k still! Have some pictures?

Add your comment to this topic!