Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Proper Jack to use on Tahoe

drick37
02-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Quick question, I've been using a 2 1/4 ton jack on my Tahoe with no problem until my neighbor informed me that my Tahoe curb weight is about 5500 lbs. I told him that since I was not supporting the entire vehicle on the jack that the 4500 lbs that it supports should be fine and I am using 2 1/4 jack stands, I NEVER support the whole vehicle, just one tire at a time while doing brakes. Should I get a bigger jack?:uhoh::confused:

roadrunner2
02-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Quick question, I've been using a 2 1/4 ton jack on my Tahoe with no problem until my neighbor informed me that my Tahoe curb weight is about 5500 lbs. I told him that since I was not supporting the entire vehicle on the jack that the 4500 lbs that it supports should be fine and I am using 2 1/4 jack stands, I NEVER support the whole vehicle, just one tire at a time while doing brakes. Should I get a bigger jack?:uhoh::confused:

NO.

GM doesn't even supply individual jacks in their vehicles to carry that much weight.

All you need to be is cautious when using your jack that it doesn't slip and/or cause damage.

I trust you are blocking the other wheels while the vehicle is up on the stands?

Think SAFETY FIRST.

drick37
02-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Yes, I am. Thanks for the info.

Yes and safety first.

This forum is a great place for info.

j cAT
02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Yes, I am. Thanks for the info.

Yes and safety first.

This forum is a great place for info.

as mentioned just look at what GM gave you , and compare with your jack..

you have the correct capacity...I however don't trust jack stands...also on pavement they mess the surface up...I prefer solid oak blocks...

I use 12 ton bottle jacks most of the time to jack up the truck/tahoe vehicles just because of the greater jacking height...

CraigZerch
03-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I think you are fine, your neighbor is probably just overly cautious.

Add your comment to this topic!