Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cars almost dead, how to prolong the life by a few months?

KPS
02-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Here's a rundown of it - 98 GT

What's wrong

No abs/traction control (told that I need to replace the whole box under the hood)
Wipers randomly stop while being used in random places on the windshield
Check engine light is on (was told a MAP sensor is why it's on)
No working am radio (sucks as I want to listen to sports)What I've done/replaced in the 14 months I've owned this cash sucker... all at shops as I don't know what to do 90% of the time (except the thermostat)

Coolant flush for the car as it was never done by the previous owner
Head gasket blew, needed a whole new engine
O2 sensors went
Transmission fluid change / drop pan
Thermostat (I did)
Intake plenum melted while driving (right after I changed the thermostat, go figure)
Coolant flush for the new engine
Coolant flush AGAIN as the previous one didn't do much, left a shit load of oil and stuff in it...
At least 6 oil changes
Rear window motor change out as I wanted to tint my windows and could not without it being fixed...
Headlight bulbs / both (X3)...
Headlight housing fix due to water getting in (I did)
Fog light bulb changes/ both (X2)
New wipers (X2)
Car had a massive short in it somewhere, caused blue smoke behind dash, had to get mechanic to rewire stuff
New tires front (Only have 15k on it......... and soon to junk the car, go figure)I've spent over $5000 in repairs, and general preventative maintenance... in 14 months. 95% in repairs. I'm done with this car, I'm done with GM. I am buying a Charger in a few months, and have run into yet another coolant problem... For whatever reason, I was hearing a lot of sloshing noise behind my dash when it starts, and gets up to speed from first gear (usually between 1.5/4k on the tach). I checked my coolant tank (which was filled a little over a month ago) and it was bone dry. The coolant hose to the engine had no pressure either. So I just filled it up with at least 4 litres.

My real question is, how can I make sure that I don't lose the car to another head gasket going off in the engine, for 2 months? I need to keep this shitmobile til' April, but have no faith that it will last.

If anyone here in SW Ontario want's this car for parts, lemmi know. It's in great condition minus the above listed :runaround:

tblake
02-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Your new engine, was it a rebuid, or a used one from a boneyard, and how many miles were on it when installed? I'd suspect either a lower intake gasket problem with it, or a coolant elbow leak. How is the oil?

KPS
02-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Sorry, should have expanded. The car when bought, was at 137k. The engine they put in wasn't rebuilt, but I don't think they got it from the junkers either, and it had 160-165k on it when it was put in.

Aside from being slightly burnt, oil looks fine. Don't plan on changing it anymore, and it's currently on 6k since the last one.

grandprixgtx00
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Don't plan on changing it anymore, and it's currently on 6k since the last one.

are you serious dude? Its probably just the plastic coolant elbow. $20 fix if you have your own tools, and a little DIY knowledge.

if i were you I'd fix whatever is wrong with it. I'm telling you GP's are good cars. It would make a perfect winter car so you dont have to drive the Charger in the snow :)

BTW: I envy you. i want a 2010 Charger RT AWD with a 6 speed. God i love those cars

KPS
02-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Yea, done with the car :)

It's sucked enough out of me, and actually have a plan to head up past Toronto to check out a Charger on Friday.

As for the winter beater, it would actually be cheaper for me to keep both cars, but being I'm fed up with this and the brand, I'll pick up another car come winter. Maybe a Ford :)

as for the plastic coolant elbow, if it really is so simple, I may fix it, just so I can sell the car.

grandprixgtx00
02-08-2010, 05:31 PM
well, If you're interested in fixing it...we're here to help. If you start the car and look right underneath the serpentine belt tensioner that is where the coolant elbow is. if you see coolant coming out thats what its going to be. It is seriously a fairly easy fix, and a VERY common problem.

how good of shape is this car in?

Here (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Heater-Hose-Fitting-Motormite_17190801-P_2346_R%7CGRPCOOLAMS_587097492___) is a link to the part that would be needed. $3.28 plus tax. pretty cheap fix. The kit comes with 2 plastic elbows (upper and lower) Your '98 only has 1 of them since it didnt come with the "updated" design.

grandprixgtx00
02-08-2010, 05:45 PM
hmm...wont let me edit my post. anyway...Here (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Heater-Hose-Fitting-Motormite_17190801-P_2346_R%7CGRPCOOLAMS_587097492___) is a link to the part that would be needed. $3.28 plus tax. pretty cheap fix. The kit comes with 2 plastic elbows (upper and lower) Your '98 only has 1 of them since it didnt come with the "updated" design.

grandprixgtx00
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
***double post**

KPS
02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Aside from my original post, great shape. Windows all work, all tinted, new tires, new radio, no real rust problems, etc. Hopefully gonna have a new car in a week or two, then this one is gone, either to someone else, or junker... Interested in it, or know someone in SW Ontario?

grandprixgtx00
02-08-2010, 05:53 PM
not sure if you saw my post/edit above. either the servers are being weird, or my browser is fu*king up.

lol...idk i might be interested in it. pretty long ways away from me though. i wouldnt mind having a parts car if its the right price.

KPS
02-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Send me an offer through pm. I'm honestly not expecting much from it in terms of selling it, and if you'd be willing to come and get it, all the more reason you can have it.

danielsatur
02-08-2010, 06:06 PM
How much in US dollars?

KPS
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Not sure. I'm honestly not sure. If you take care of the car (picking it up, transfer at the border, etc), nothing more than what I'd sell it for here. I can post pics here on Thursday for those wondering, and it'll be of the engine, doors, etc. Would prefer a local sale, but a sale is a sale.

danielsatur
02-08-2010, 06:16 PM
1- Canadian dollar = 0.92885 US dollar.

Add your comment to this topic!