Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GP wont start?

grandprixgtx00
02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
hey everyone, got a problem. My GT has been sitting in the garage for a while now since i park it for the winter. Went out a few weeks ago to start it and it wouldnt start, key was stuck in the ignition after that. figured the battery was dead from sitting for a while so today i worked up the energy to push it out of the garage and try to jump it.

hooked the jumper cables up and let it sit for a while for the battery to get a charge. Lights turned on and everything, so i turned the key and it just clicked then all the lights went out. Key wouldnt come out of the ignition and nothing happens. Went underneath the hood, played with the cables, then all the lights turned on again...still wouldnt start. just clicks and does the same thing. key will not come out of the ignition. I noticed when looking down, the theft lock light on the radio was lit up red.

i took the battery cables off, and the terminals are clean.

My GT is a 1998, that year car did not come with Passlock II correct?

I'm at a loss here. any help is appreciated.

02-07-2010, 01:10 PM
your battery is so dead that quick jump start will not help.

charge it over night or get a new one.

grandprixgtx00
02-07-2010, 03:48 PM
the battery was just replaced 2 years ago with an Interstate. i was going to get it tested real quick but i dont have any tools here. Guess it'll just sit until spring haha

Mickey#1
02-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Once a battery discharges it can freeze at a higher temperature than normal. Check the sides for bulging.

tblake
02-07-2010, 10:12 PM
carefull trying to jump start or charge a frozen battery. But i agree it sounds like the batt is toast.

Add your comment to this topic!