Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission hesitates to upshift from 1st to 2nd

tonysilvachico
02-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Ok, so last week I bought a C220 for 8 hundred dollars from a tow yard. It had a broken oil pan.I replaced that and took the car for a test drive, and the automatic transmission is not shifting into 2nd gear as it is supposed to. I checked the tranny fluid level and it is ok. Fluid looks clean. To change the oil pan, I moved the tranny and the motor as one unit. No broken or pinched wires. The linkage is good.

All gears work well. first, second, third, fourth and reverse...they all work fine Its the time it takes for the actual shift to occur that I would like to get info The shift into 2nd gear just takes too long. The tranny does not feel like it is slipping. it just takes 2 to 3 seconds to go from 1st to second.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Are there any sensors that I can replace or does the transmission need to be repaired?

tonysilvachico
02-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Well I haven't had time to look at the transmission at all this past week. However I have the opportunity to purchase a used transmission from a 1995 C280. The motor is an inline 6 cylinder 2.8 liter. WILL THIS TRANSMISSION WORK with the 2.2 liter engine in my C220? please reply with links or info. Thank you.

tonysilvachico
02-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Well, so much for the replies.......any how, I traced the problem to the B1 valve assembly inside the valve body. I am going to attempt to change it with new pieces.............WTF!!!!!!!!!

tonysilvachico
03-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Ok, So I changed the b1 valve assembly in the valve body. I dont recommend this to anybody...unless you have the right tools and measuring devices!!! It is a very tedious thing to attempt. But......for me it worked. It was a very frustrating job to accomplish. I could have used the valve body out of the C280 transmission, (my car is a C220) however the "working pressure" differs slightly from the C220...FYI

youngkia1
03-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Ok, So I changed the b1 valve assembly in the valve body. I dont recommend this to anybody...unless you have the right tools and measuring devices!!! It is a very tedious thing to attempt. But......for me it worked. It was a very frustrating job to accomplish. I could have used the valve body out of the C280 transmission, (my car is a C220) however the "working pressure" differs slightly from the C220...FYI

Nice.. Good for you, it works.. but we tried that before to my friend's C220 but it doesn't functioning well.. sad part..

Add your comment to this topic!