Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Steps, and how long to remove wiper linkage ?

pjw73nh
02-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Greetings,

I am embarking on a strut job this afternoon on my 2000 Venture. Most recommend taking the wiper linkage and motor out for ease of access to the 3 15mm strut mount bolts on each tower.

What are the steps in order, and how long should the process take (not including struts). I KNOW what's involved in that. I am just curious about time and effort involved in the linkage.

Thanks.

pjw73nh
02-05-2010, 06:47 PM
The steps are:

1. Turn wipers on to longest delay (pulse). When they stop (pulse resting), turn the key off.

2. Measure the wiper placement as follows.
Passenger: Measure upwards with a measuring tape from the upper tip of the passenger wiper to the black transition line at the bottom of the windshield. In my case it was 4 inches.
Drivers: Measure downwards from the upper tip of the drivers wiper, to the black transition line. In my case this was 6.75 inches.

There is a diagram of this in the manual, but my measurements did not match the book specs. I went with mine because I knew what they were when I started. I also took pictures of the linkage to be sure I got it back together correctly.

3. Remove wiper arms from spindles. Remove 15mm nut, use battery terminal puller to pop them off. they WILL NOT pry off and you WILL damage the boot on the spindle if you try to pry them off. Disconnect washer hoses at junction by wiper motor. Main portion of hose comes off with drivers side wiper.

4. Remove plastic wiper motor shroud note where the clips are located.

5. Remove the 7 screws holding the cowl and screen on. 7mm

6.Disconnect the front and rear washer pump electrical plugs.

7 Remove the 3 bolts holding the washer fluid tank on. 10mm. Let it hang down a bit and lean. No need to remove it.

8. Remove the wiper spindle bolts. 2 on each side. 10mm

9. Remove the one 10mm bolt on the top of the wiper motor.

10. Remove single 10mm bolt from cruise control module. Pull the module UP and out of its carriage, its held in by a rubber grommet. Let it hang on the front of the engine.

11. Remove 2 10mm bolts from Cruise control carriage, and un-loop it from the large wire bundle underneath and remove it.

12. Un-thread washer supply hose from the wiper motor assembly.

13. Disconnect wiper motor electrical connector.

14. Pull the entire motor and linkage assembly directly forward an inch or two to disengage it from the mount under the center of the windshield. Slide it towards the passenger side of the car, moving it UNDER the main accelerator cable. You may have to manually and gently turn the motor spindle clockwise 90 degrees to get the drivers side linkage out of interference.

You now have as much access to the strut mount nuts as you're going to get.

Re-assembly is the reverse.

Tips:

Clean the splines on the spindle with a wire brush to ensure a good grip.

Be sure to use the measurements you made early on to reposition the wipers and ensure correct timing. Before you position the wipers, turn them on and let them run one "pulse cycle" to be sure they are still in same position as when you took the measurements.

Before you "set" the wipers to their final spot,tighten them enough to try them with the washer to be sure they cover the correct path, and don't run off the windshield and that they park properly. .

The torque of the 15mm spindle nuts is critical. It is 35 Ft Lbs. I did it is 4 steps. 25, 28, 32, 35. The soft aluminum of the wiper arms forms around the hard splines of the spindle.

It took about an hour to get all the linkage off and get me clear access to the strut mounts. It took about an hour and a half to put it back together again. I was being extra careful .

I hope this helps someone.

P.../NH

Add your comment to this topic!