Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Automatic Shifting Problem

towjoe42
02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I have a 1998 VW Super Beetle. Automatic. It is not shifting from 3rd to D.
No prior maintence history as it was a US Government Seizure and I bought it from My tow company auction.
My cousins Dad and Husband died all in the same day. She has three kids and needs a car, so I am going to give it to her real cheap.
The trans fluid level is in normal range on the dip stick.
What is the recommended type of trans fluid?
If the wrong type is in the trans, would it only prevent from shifting from 3rd to D? Oh, in reference to the "Tag" box below, what is a TAG?
Thanks, Tow Joe

Franco2112
02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Your tiptronic shifter has magnets that controls your shift pattern. The magnets are glued on. They either have fallin off or dirty. Take to your local trans shop for an easy fix. Your trans fluid is considered a lifetime fluid from VW, if it is still VW fluid. The wrong fluid would not cause this type of shifting problem. Again take to transmission shop to clear up any fluid, shifter concerns.
Franco

towjoe42
02-04-2010, 10:50 PM
I took the car to El Cajon Transmissions in San Diego. They found a check engine light on, which I knew about. They asked me if I had disconnected the battery at any time. I said yes the battery was dead and I put another one in it and the check engine light was on when I first got it started.
They hooked it to a code scanner and turned off the check engine light. After test driving the car again it now was shifting properly from 3rd to Drive.
I did have them put it on a lift and check the fluid.
VW has a weird way of checking the fluid in these cars.
You have to unscrew a little plug in the center of the main drain plug. If fluid comes out, it's level is normal. If none comes out it is low.
Nothing much came out other than a small drip or tow, so I told them to drain the fluid and refill it and install a new filter.
It worked fine, so I drove it to my smog test shop where it passed smog with flying colors.
I'll be taking it to my cousins tomorrow.
I am happy with the advise to take it to a transmission shop. I am not thrilled with the cost of the transmission fluid, but I guess that is one thing that makes it under normal circumstances not necessary to change it for the lifetime of the vehicle.
I don't really agree with that concept. My old fluid really looked bad. There was no debris in the drained fluid, so it looks like the inside of the trans is still in good shape. thanks, Tow Joe

Franco2112
02-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Great to hear things worked out. Thanks for letting us know the details of the fix. This info will definetly helps others address their VW New Beetle transmission concerns. Later
Franco

Add your comment to this topic!