Car dealerships taking harley as trad-in towards new car

bobbyd33
02-04-2010, 05:10 AM
I am in the market for a car, not sure what I want yet but have few in mind.
So my current car is a '99 hyundai with basically no trade-in value.

I own a harley however and the Kelly bluebook has it listed as worth 9k trade-in, 12k retail price. So that got me thinking as to if I could trade my bike in to take a nice chunk out of car price.

Anyone know if this ever goes on? if bigger dealers do it as they have more ability to move it as opposed to a small dealer with only 1 lot?

akboss
02-04-2010, 09:20 AM
It might be worthwhile to take your bike to a proper bike shop or Harley dealer, get the money for it there because they know they can move it, then take your cash to the car dealer. I mean, you can approach it with the car dealer, but like you say most would be uneasy and maybe not give you the value it's worth.

What kind of car(s) are you thinking about?

'97ventureowner
02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
As akboss said it is best to take it to a Harley Dealer or similar bike shop as you more than likely won't get even close to the value your bike has. I've seen some dealers in my area claim to take anything in trade towards a purchase, but they only offer $1000 ($2,000 tops) for whatever is traded in no matter what it is. When they do something like that it is most a gimmick to increase traffic into the dealership, and you know they probably already inflated the price of the vehicles on the lot to compensate for the trade-ins.

bobbyd33
02-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I was thinking of getting a 2011 hyundai tucson when they come out but but still deciding, gotta look at 2010's see if they are big enough as im rather tall.
We want something that will last us a long while and low mileage used cars we want aren't much cheaper than brand new so for the 2-3k more we get car with 30k less miles and probly better interest rate

I have been going over finances and we are trying to get ourselves completely out of debt before we get a new vehicle. So we figured that in a year or so we can be pretty well out. So that would mean keeping current vehicle and hoping it makes it another year.

But if I could sell bike it would help alot, as its paid off. But I really dont want to get rid of it as I enjoy my rides

I didnt know you could sell it back to bike shops, thought they only took them as trade-ins when getting new bike. Try check into it, but local harley dealer is joke so I won't hold my breath.

Im little hesitant about selling it myself as I worry about people dicking with it or dropping it and I would never allow a test drive cause what would I do if guy dumped it cause he couldn't ride. Not sure if people would buy bike they couldnt test ride.

RahX
02-04-2010, 08:22 PM
I work at a dodge/kia/mitsubishi/subaru dealer and we take bikes in on trade regularly. Not every clunker but if the general manager gives it the thumbs up we take it. We usually have 2-4 bikes on the lot during the summer.

Ray paulsen
02-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I been down this road quite a few times where a consumer had a car to trade or other than a car, and without going into long detail here is the best approach.

Have a buyer for the Harley lined up that meets the price range your looking for, then you can use that amount in a trade towards the 2011 Tucson, the dealer simply sells the bike to your buyer for same amount " in most cases will add a small handling fee "

You now will also benefit by only having to pay taxes on the difference not the full amount.

Trade in direct with a car dealer, noooooooo, you will not benefit.

bobbyd33
02-04-2010, 11:31 PM
I work at a dodge/kia/mitsubishi/subaru dealer and we take bikes in on trade regularly. Not every clunker but if the general manager gives it the thumbs up we take it. We usually have 2-4 bikes on the lot during the summer.

how much lower than a bikes value do you offer people out of curiosity?

RahX
02-05-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't know how much sales offers the people but the price they put on the bikes are usually competitive. All you can do is see what they will do for you if they want to buy it. It isn't like you have to take the offer :)

'97ventureowner
02-05-2010, 08:12 AM
I didnt know you could sell it back to bike shops, thought they only took them as trade-ins when getting new bike. Try check into it, but local harley dealer is joke so I won't hold my breath.

Interest in bike shops taking in used bikes has increased in recent years due in large part to more consumers interested in them. Higher fuel prices have pushed a lot of people to consider buying a bike for some transportation ( to supplement their daily driver,) because the bikes get better gas mileage. Shops and dealers have seen an increase in demand in the past few years, including the sale of used bikes, so they are more receptive to buying some in decent shape to resell.

Add your comment to this topic!