Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blower motor replacement

gpgt98
02-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Looking for some instalation tips for a noisey, rattling, bad blower moter. And can anyone tell me why the blower motor is 110 bucks+? Its a Pontiac not a Caddy!
1998 GP GT 105K 3.8.
Thanks in advance.

aliasmax
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Looking for some instalation tips for a noisey, rattling, bad blower moter. And can anyone tell me why the blower motor is 110 bucks+? Its a Pontiac not a Caddy!
1998 GP GT 105K 3.8.
Thanks in advance.

do a search for blower motor resister replacement. there is step by step instructions in the thread. I sure hope you are a contortionist. Almost broke my back from the unnatural position you have to get into to change the resister or blower motor. good luck

grandprixgtx00
02-02-2010, 10:55 AM
i got a tip for ya. remove the passenger seat. it will make life 100% easier. other than that...fairly simple job.

EDIT: where are you looking for the blower motor? the AC Delco may be around $120 or so (which i do recommend purchasing) or you can get the cheap one for around $70. i found one at Advanced Auto for $69.99

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Blower-Motor-Factory-Air_19010002-P_117_R%7CGRPCOOLAMS_613271131

BNaylor
02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Which climate control system do you have? Manual or automatic/digital ACC (CJ2)?

Each system uses a different rated blower motor and the cost will be different.

gpgt98
02-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Manual , single control.

By the way, if I am to replace the blower motor would it be best to replace the resistors as well?

aliasmax
02-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Manual , single control.

By the way, if I am to replace the blower motor would it be best to replace the resistors as well?

YES. as long as your in there and it is the original resistor i would change it out. Just my personal opinion

gpgt98
04-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Hey GrandprixGT I sure wish I had listen to ya about getting the AC/Delco instead of the cheepy. I just got around to installing ( we finally had a decent day up here in Wis. ! ) The conector from the new motor did not match up nor did the hole to bolt back up! What should have been a 30 minute job turned into 2 hours messing around snipping wires and drilling holes.. now my back REALLY hurts!

grandprixgtx00
04-21-2010, 04:10 PM
haha, good luck with the cheap blower motor. just my :2cents: but you may be changing it again next summer/spring

glad to hear you got it done though

gpgt98
04-23-2010, 06:48 AM
One thing that happened during the install is that now speed 5 on the fan does not work.
I did replace a fuse that had blown when the old motor had froze up but other than that dont know what it may be?

BNaylor
04-23-2010, 06:56 AM
One thing that happened during the install is that now speed 5 on the fan does not work.

Did you replace the blower motor resistor? The relay for position 5 hi speed is located on the blower motor resistor.

gpgt98
04-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I didn't think about it as it worked before replacing the blower motor. ( well I HAD thought about it but decided not to as long as there were no other problems)

Schubiez
05-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Whats the resistor? I am having this same problem! I just bought a slightly used blower motor for fifty bucks (saved me sixty)! I was gonna have someone replace it for me since my heat actually stopped working completely because of the blower motor ( I live in mn too, can ya imagine drivin with no heat? burr) lol, it makes the loudest noise i've ever heard, really annoying. But I have no idea what the resistors are? haha, can someone please fill me in? Thanks! :-D

richtazz
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Schubiez, the noise you're getting is the motor. The resistor controls speeds 1-4 (speed 5 is direct power through the relay) according to what position the switch on the dash is in. It is mounted in the heater box right behind the blower motor itself. If you follow the power wires from the blower motor, where they terminate is the blower resistor.

Add your comment to this topic!