Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Routine Maintence

TheyCallMePynes
01-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey Guys,

I just got my 4th car. A Chevy Monte Carlo from 99.

I'm the 3rd owner and the maintenance has been done routinely on the car. It's at 97000 Miles and it's time for another transmission flush and a Coolant flush.

I have done minor work on cars before. I did a transmission flush on my 80 Thunderbird, and I installed a power steering unit to that car as well.

Is it worth it for me to do these routine maintenance jobs on my own or pay xxx amount for the labor at a shop?

I am most concerned about installing the new transmission filter. (My fear is that I am going to miss install the rubber o band) Is this fear rational or irrational?

Also, the car's radiator gauge (in the dash) isn't working, I'm assuming a quick fix, is this a concern?

rhandwor
01-31-2010, 06:27 PM
It depends on the money in your wallet. If you have a floor jack,4 jack stands and basic hand tools. Purchase a filter kit with gasket and ask for the amount of transmission fluid needed. Just take your time use some adhesive on the pan to stick the gasket. This is the easiest way to prevent a leak.
Use a piece of No.14 solid copper wire to ground the wire to the temperature sensor if it pegs replace the sending unit.

Add your comment to this topic!