Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 Tbird died

snettles
01-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Coming home from work yesterday The bird died.When you turn the ignition to run you can hear a buzzing/clicking noise coming from the RH side of the interior by the glove box.If you let it sit for a while and try to restart it it will start as long as the buzzing noise is not present before starting.I am thinking it is a fuel pump relay but have no idea where it is.any help?3.8.

snettles
01-31-2010, 04:06 PM
I changed the fuel pump relay with no joy.I was wondering if any body out there has heard of the EEC power relay going bad if so is that part of the EEC or is it external.Please help.Thanks.

97Bird
02-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Welcome to the forum snettles. What was making the buzzing sound? According to a wiring diagram I found, the fuel pump relay (fpr) is fed from a yellow wire that is hot all of the time. From the relay a Pink/Black wire goes to the fuel pump and pin 8 of the EEC. The fpr coil is fed from the inertia switch by a red wire. The low side of the fpr coil goes to the EEC pin 22 through a Tan/Lt Green wire. With a voltmeter see if you have 12V on the yellow wire at all times and when the ignition is in the Run position you should have 12V on the Red and Pnk/Blk wire. The Tan/Lt Grn wire should be about 0V. According to the diagram I am looking at , the EEC Power Relay is seperate from the EEC. A Blk/Yel wire goes from this relay to EEC pins 37 and 57. A Blk/Org wire goes from the relay to the EEC pin 1. This relay also has a Red/Lt Grn wire coming from the ignition switch and a Blk/Lt Grn wire going to ground. Hopefully the color codes are the same in your car so you can trace the wires and find the power relay. Let me know what you get for voltage readings. The power relay could be bad but unlikely.

snettles
03-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Sorry for taking so long to reply.I have been really busy at work.I just got the Bird fixed yesterday.The EEC power relay is external of the EEC.After changing the fuel pump once and the EEC relay 3 times and checking the wiring harness several times I found the BLK/LT GRN ground wire for the EEC Relay plug open to ground.I put a jumper to ground from that wire and it fired right up.IT was the EEC relay making the buzzing noise.The Bird is running Great.Its only got 70,000 Miles on it.Thanks 97 BIRD I went and bought the manual with the wiring diagram in it.You set me on the right path.I was hoping a quick fix before.

97Bird
03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
You're welcome snettles. Glad to hear your Bird is back on the road!

Add your comment to this topic!