Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear pumpkin seal leaking?

ned032002
01-30-2010, 02:33 AM
If the title to this thread makes no sense, feel free to change it to the more appropriate title please.

I was under my car today and noticed that the back pumpkin appears to be leaking. Where do I go to get this seal, and what is the exact name of it?

Sorry for the bad pic, kind of a PITA to get a good pic under the car when you can't even see it from the back.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c208/ned032002/IMG00224.jpg

and how much of a B***h is it to do this seal? The gas tank appears to be hindering easy access.

SilvrEclipse
01-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Is this on the rear diff cover? I have never replaced this gasket on an eclipse but I have on trucks. Im sure the process is basically the same, drain the diff fluid, take out the bolts on the rear cover and replace the gasket. Then put fluid back in.

ned032002
01-30-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm going to get a better pic of it tonight but it looks like there's 2 supports the come together and hold the differential in place. Those look like there the biggest obsticle in the way. Plus the front end is on ramps so the rear end is low enough that I can't get under the car to get a good look. Looks like its leaking pretty good too.

MagicRat
01-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Is this on the rear diff cover? I have never replaced this gasket on an eclipse but I have on trucks. Im sure the process is basically the same, drain the diff fluid, take out the bolts on the rear cover and replace the gasket. Then put fluid back in.

To me, it looks like its the pinion seal thats leaking, and the fluid is slowly flowing back towards the rear of the housing.

IMO that leak is not so bad. Gear lube does not seem to drip or run off. It simply clings to the housing, so sometimes leaks look worse than they actually are. Check the fluid level on occasion. You might find it is not dropping fast at all.
I have several vehicles with similar leaks. I find I can keep up with them simply by topping up the level at every oil change. But those are crappy old trucks. Since this is a nice car, it may be worth fixing it properly, eventually. :)

Add your comment to this topic!