Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 toyota rebuild and failure

hatazcat
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
:mad:I had my 94 toyota pickup rebuilt 2 years ago. Afterward there was funny noise under hood, sometimes, especially on hills ...sometimes would run rough. the place that did rebuild tried to figure it out, did minor things like adjust valves or timing?? It seemed to be okay for awhile and then out of nowhere i had a blown gasket. They repaired under warrenty. this was about a year ago. yesterday i noticed a knocking and thought it was maybe low on oil...went for oil change, but before I got there, it died. I had it towed and mechanic did a diagnositc. He said there was 20% compression in two of the cylinder (?). when i told him of the previous problems he said it sounded like detonation...and the machine shop probably took to much off the head with the first rebuild. Also, that chances are that I blew another head gasket...would cost 350 just to open up and look. Does this sound like somethign that is likely to keep occuring even with a repaired gasket. the first place says they would fix a gasket for 600$, but if i need a new head and etc. I dont know if it is worth it. I spent 3000 on a rebuild and new clutch 2 years ago. It has 300,000miles. I can see spending 600$, but not to keep this going. Does anyone have any input? Thanks

fasttoyotapu
01-28-2010, 09:36 PM
A bunch of things could be causing your heart ache. For one, if that mecanic said "20%", he must have been doing a leak down test. That just tests for how much is leaking... if your engine has 20% on all 4 cyl. on a 4 cyl. engine, it should still run. that isn't the cause of your engine dying... As for your rebuild troubles... I am going to encourage you to go back to the person who rebuilt your engine and shove it up his a$%... it happens to me too and you have the right. I'm curious to see if he had your head machined and didn't add the head shim. the higher compression would cause detionation and your head gasket to blow. But of course this is a situation where i would have to open her up to see what the damage looks like and what would have cause the damage. Those trucks, when running right or repaired right, are bullet proof and worth every penny. So, my recommendation to you would be to get all your records together, the technician's story when you rebuilt the engine, and take it to a tech you trust or (even better) take it back to the one who screwed it up in the first place. Like I said, we won't know until we open her up.

hatazcat
01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
I think you are right about the machine shop and the head. The guy that did the compression test mentioned somthig about this and he also just pulled out of thin air the exact symptoms I had...It sounds about right because this is the 2nd (im assuming) blown head gasket in 2 years since I had the engine rebuild. The fact there was noise immediatly after the rebuild on hills tells me they didnt do something effectivly the first time and failed to fix it on the first blown head gasket under warrenty. Pisses me off to no end!!!! i already talkd to the guy and its out of warrenty. hes not going to pay for it. says he will replace my head gasket for 600, but then i have to pay a huge tow to get it across Los Angeles fromwhere it is now....Im looking at 1,000$ only to have it do the same thing agian probably? ANd if my head was machined incorrectly? add that to the mix and im looking at another 1,000 or so. PLUS do i really want this itiot place to work on my car anymore ....really? It took them forever the 2nd time AND my car got broken in to .....Im sad for trucky truck.

fasttoyotapu
02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
As am I... I'd look arround for a rebuilt engine. Up here you could get an engine for about 1500 bucks. It takes a little looking around but it is possible. The labor to get it installed is extra of course. Just make sure it is the same year and engine to bypass any issues. Also a rebuilt head may be in order if you don't want to get the whole engine. But the question stands, did they rebuild the short block right? Either way it'll take a lot of work. I wish you the best and trucky truck good health from hear on in.

hatazcat
02-01-2010, 09:32 PM
had an offer of 700$ cash from one of the mechanics where trucky truck is at. Probably take it....I know they will probably fix him up right.... Im not in the right place for that. I need a vehicle quick!

Add your comment to this topic!