Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

humming sound

badassfocus1101
01-27-2010, 06:37 PM
ok my g/f left for work this morning and got in an accident. not bad everyone is ok. she slid on ice went over a curb and hit a speedlimit sign. speed was slow slow slow just scuffed the bumper. but there is a goudge in the passenger front wheel right on the wheel weight. and then a stratus hit her in the passenger rear quarter pannel. not bad. just cracked bumper and dented fender..no biggie..

problem...

when your driving strait as soon as you hit 55mph it starts humming.. like a tire rubbing.. but its not. i looked all over the front and rear of car. no rubbing nuthing bent. no rub marks on tires. so u drive strait at 55mph and it humms. while its humming if u turn to the right...humming STOPS! but if you turn to the right the humming is 3x worse...

any ideas or suggestions as to where to look or what is wrong?

while driving the steering wheel doesnt shake at all./. doesnt pull to left or right at all.. please help. i dont check on here much so comments please email me @ Lbranham1101@gmail.com or text/call anytime 937-206-4602

name is logan thank you. BTW car is a 02 monte carlo SS

oldblu65
01-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Sounds like a front left wheel bearing has gone bad . Jack the car up till the tire clears the ground , then try to move the wheel side to side and in and out at the top and bottom . There should be very little if any movement in any direction .If so , it's most likely the bearing has gone bad . If you go to youtube and put " richpin " into search , you'll get a series of " how-to " videos he has posted on various auto repair jobs . One of those videos shows the replacement of a front wheel bearing on a 2000 Impala .It would be the same as your car . Check it out and Good Luck !

Add your comment to this topic!