95 Hyundai Elantra Idle Speed Problems

calimer
01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi, and thank you to anyone who reads this and even considers helping as it has been an ongoing problem for a while, and lots of money later it is still a problem.

The car is a 95 Hyundai Elantra GLS with around 80k miles. I generally only drive it to and from work which is only a few miles.

Here are the main issues:
- Sometimes the idle speed seems too high. I have to fight to keep it stopped and sometimes even when first applying the brake it will jerk forward a little. Sometimes it is fine, especially if the car is cold or it is literally really cold out, but the warmer the car is the worst it seems to act up, sometimes to scary levels.
- When I coast sometimes it feels like the car is grabbing and jerking
- The car sounds like it is revving in park, happens a lot more frequently when parking than when starting the car. It also sounds like it is shutting off hard.
- The check engine light comes on sometimes briefly 1-30 seconds (though this seems fixed after they did a fuel induction service).

The problems all seem related as well, when the the idle speed seems to be normal, there is no jerking and generally no revving when I place it in park. However, depending how loud the idle speed is when I turn it on is a good indication of how rough of a trip home it will be. The louder the worse the trip.

What was done and has not fixed the problem:
- Idle speed screw was adjusted
- Fuel Induction system service
- New Idle Speed Control Servo Kit

They say that if it isn't that, it must be the computer. However, my main Mechanic thought it might be the air intake valve (which I think is the same as the AICV) or the computer but he doesn't do that kind of service. I read a post online where a guy with a toyota or something had a similar problems, but not exactly the same, and cleaned the AICV and it fixed the problem. It seems like it would be relatively inexpensive to have them clean the AICV though I don't know if it is the proper solution.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time!
-mike

Add your comment to this topic!