Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

18in rims vs speed

Cavalier9696
01-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Will 18's make a big difference in the cars pick-up/speed? My car has hardly any power. I can put the pedal to the floor and it slowly creeps. Like I said in other post's, the engine has been rebuilt.

All sensers are new. Gaskets new. Bought new IAC just haven't had time to put it on yet. Didn't buy new vacum lines though. Where is all my power? Was thinking it could just be the 18's?

SilvrEclipse
01-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Depends on the rim weight. Normally 18" wheels do slow your car down some. It shouldn't be a huge amount, but it is more rotational mass that the car has to accelerate. Im guessing you have a 420a motor and auto tranny. The 420a motor doesn't have much power anyways but coupled with an auto tranny just makes it that much worse. If the car didn't use to be that slow the motor may have a problem. Is the motor stock? intake? exhaust?

Cavalier9696
01-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Just an aem air intake and apexi pipe. The rims are motgei's not sure if any1 knows the weight on them. Last night when I took off it felt pretty good. IM just not my be use to the car yet I guess.

LandoAWD
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
My 16" Motegis were beasts (as are all cheap wheels). I shudder to think of the unsprung weight 2 more inches would add.

That said, putting the "pedal to the floor" and having the car "slowly creep" is not due to your rims.

cantgo2fast
02-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Sorry, that just means your car is slow. Rim diameter isnt too important but the overall weight is. A "light" set of 18's will weigh in around 20-22 lbs im sure yours are more. A set of 17" BBS rims will run you a small fortune because they are super light aka they are fast. As a general rule of thumb lighter, smaller diameter wheels will almost always make your car faster. But in your case its probably not the wheels's fault your car is slow, they just dont make a lot of power.

Add your comment to this topic!