Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sealed beam light upgrade conversion

consultIII
01-26-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm installing a headlamp conversion kit on a 88 crown victoria with a oem 4 headlamp rectangular sealed beam lighting system. the kit is a 4x6" projection style lenses that holds a replacable bulb (not a HID conversion).

I've bought only the 2 low beam lenses and left the oem high beam lights (which could be the problem).

With the new low beams installed the system backfeeds into the highbeams. So with the dimmer on low beam the low beams are on and the high beams light up dimly. On high beam setting the low beams are dimmer and the high beams are slightly brighter.

Stock system works normally. with the new low beam conversion connected and high beam lights unplugged the new low beams work normally.

12volt power is good and all grounds are good. Dimmer switch is good.

Do I need to install the high beam conversion lenses also?

Would like to understand the theory of what's going on...any ideas.

If I can't figure it out and going to isolate the high and low beams completly and run separate relays to feed the low and high beams.

junk yard doggie
01-28-2010, 07:42 AM
That's a cool deal. I didn't know there was such a light upgrade out there. How much brighter are the lights? Let us know if you find out the problem. I would just wire up the highs to a seprate switch. I have an 89 Grand Marquis when I hit the brights I think the low beams stay on. You might have to separate the lights and run a new circuit to eliminate problems. My brights give plenty of light but the lows are not that bright. It's hard to see on these rural mountain roads out here. I would like to up grade the lows and keep the old highs like you did. It make a lot of sense to me.

consultIII
02-03-2010, 09:30 PM
It was inexpensive too; $60 for both lens assemblies and matching bulbs at CarQuest.

last week did a beamers brand full hid conversion install on a 2010 silverado. 6000K kit was complete plug and play. Was so impressive. Totally blew away the stock headlamp system. Stock system looked like candlelight next to the hid. Will check their website to see if they have a bulb that fits into the new carquest lens.

will keep you posted on the final results

Add your comment to this topic!