Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

power steering leak cant determine where from

bml.61089
01-24-2010, 12:05 PM
its a 1997 gs 5 spd. after i change all the seals having to do with my oil leak , we got it back together and now it is leaking powersteering from what looks like to be the boot outta the rack and pinion but idk it leaks really bad any thoughts

david-b
01-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Are you 100% sure it the R&P? Are you talking the boot on the end, where the rods come out from? Are all the clamps on there and tight? Or does it look like the boot itself is actually ripped?

Any pics possible?

jd-autotech
01-24-2010, 01:57 PM
if the rack is puking fluid the seals are shot and the rack must be replaced.and if you do it the alignment must be done after the repair is complete.

bml.61089
01-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Are you 100% sure it the R&P? Are you talking the boot on the end, where the rods come out from? Are all the clamps on there and tight? Or does it look like the boot itself is actually ripped?

Any pics possible?

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t210/ROKET831/IMG_0953.jpg

well the boot is completey seperated ill go get some pics up in a min thanks

david-b
01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Ya that needs to get replaced. Hmm... looking at the pics of my new one, I can't tell if the boot itself can just be replaced. I don't see why not, but I can't see it in close enough detail.

bml.61089
01-24-2010, 09:03 PM
so about how hard is it to change this and what is that boot for ?

david-b
01-24-2010, 09:39 PM
I had hole caused by rust on my R&P unit which was causing it to leak, so I had to replace the whole unit. Like I said not sure if it's possible to replace just the boot. I got a rebuilt R&P unit for I believe $165 or so with core charge. Not too bad at all. As for replacing, it takes some time. I took mine to my shop to do. Got alignment and everything too.

The boot is usually filled with grease and protects the moving parts from dust, dirt and moisture from getting inside and causing the parts not move freely.

bml.61089
01-24-2010, 11:37 PM
so prolly need new r and p about how hard is it to change.. is it something i can do on my own ? thank you

ricebike
01-25-2010, 09:17 AM
no one knows what level of experience you have and what tools you got in your garage...

there's online manuals/instructions on the internet

some say it's a major PITA, but it's true that you'll need to get it to the alignment shop as soon as you're done

maybe measure and jot down the length of the outer tie rod ends to the steering knuckle before you pop out the ball joints to keep it in driveable condition when you install the new unit

i have a similar thing happened on my nissan; caused by hitting a pothole in nyc

bml.61089
01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
I had hole caused by rust on my R&P unit which was causing it to leak, so I had to replace the whole unit. Like I said not sure if it's possible to replace just the boot. I got a rebuilt R&P unit for I believe $165 or so with core charge. Not too bad at all. As for replacing, it takes some time. I took mine to my shop to do. Got alignment and everything too.

The boot is usually filled with grease and protects the moving parts from dust, dirt and moisture from getting inside and causing the parts not move freely.

ok thanks guys i have decided to change it no other choice so where did you get yours from the best price i can find is 232 and 95 core charge thanks again for all your help

ricebike
01-27-2010, 07:38 AM
how about eBay? but you may have to pay extra for shipping the core back to the seller in some cases, so add that cost to the total when considering to buy it there

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?Model%2520Year=1997&_nkw=power%20steering%20rack%20mitsubishi%20eclips e&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

that's where i purchased mine for less than the aftermarket retail chains

course, you can also go to your local salvage yards; one in my area offered a lifetime warranty to boot! but didn't have one for my vehicle, which is why i turned to eBay

don't be afraid of sending your best offer as well... he'll probably take it (i got mine for $99)

edit: well, that seller's willing to absorb the cost of return shipping as well as a lifetime warranty for the rebuilt unit! luckyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

PS: check the outer tie rod ends to your steering knuckles; you may have to reuse/replace them as well since the remanufactured rack only comes w/ the inner tie rods only

david-b
01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Ya i got mine off of eBay too. I unfortunatly didn't have time from the time I bought it to when it got installed to ship it back and get my core refund.

To ship it back I believe it was going to be like $20 or so. Which is way less than the core. I didn't think it was a bad deal. No problems with it neither. I called the guy before I bought and made sure I was getting the right unit. Gives me a piece of mind to talk to the person when getting something rebuilt like that. Adds a "face or voice" to the seller.

Cavalier9696
01-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Yup ebay the way to go. Like a car guys heaven..hehe Most people you buy from on ebay still send there parts with warrent's also which is always good. I had same problem with the boot leaking on my master clutch cylinder. Got new one on ebay with warranty. Good luck:)

Add your comment to this topic!