Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Venture stall....

JediKnight2
01-23-2010, 10:18 PM
OK...a few days ago I had a misfire issue. Come to find out on that one of the plug wires laid up on the manifold and melted the jacket....replaced all plug wires and van ran fine. I also had a code 440 and 1404. We replaced the vacuum hose that goes from the PCV valve into the unit beside the transmission dip stick and the SES light hasn't come on since.

TODAY...when van is under load it stutters like it wants to cut off. I can floor it and it just acts like it isn't getting fuel...spits and sputters. I got it to my inlaws and I can start the van...it idles perfectly. Put it in D, 3, 2 or 1 and it shuts off...I can put it in reverse and rev the motor up just fine...put it in any forward gear and the motor cuts off......also as a note my fuel guage hasn't been working for over a year...I know the van has gas, but wanted to throw that in there in case it raised any flags...I don't have access to a code reader where I am at and the SES and engine lights haven't lit up either....any suggestions...

JediKnight2
01-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I went out to the van this morning and started her up, put her in Drive and she didn't stall out...not sure what to do. This started last night when I went to pass someone going to my in-laws...stuttered when it went into OD or passing gear it seemed...I let off the accelerator and she stopped. On the way back to her mothers it seemed worse doing it in 1, 2, 3 and D, but still under load. Now, on the way to her mothers is hilly, so the load on the van is greater....I am just at a loss here.

JediKnight2
01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Update...I made it up to Advance Auto and had them scan the van...ZILCH..not a single code set. On the way home it acted up again....when I floor it...it spits and sputters...almost like a backfire. I put it in reverse when I got in the neighborhood and got it home in reverse...it still would cut off when I let off the gas...but it wouldn't immediately turn off like when its in D, 3, 2 or 1

JediKnight2
01-24-2010, 01:48 PM
OK...just changed the fuel filter...when I changed it I dumped the fuel out of the filter from the side that feeds in from the tank and it looks really dirty...like I said, the van isn't surging, but when it starts doing it if I press the pedal down it seems like it misfires...misses like it isn't getting fuel...at least thats my non-expert explenation....does this photo look bad enough to cause the issues?...also, when it is doing it if I take it out of gear to neutral it revs up and runs fine...put it back in D and stumbles.

Photo note...my hands were clean before the photo...all of that came out of the fuel filter

roadrunner2
01-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Jedi,

I see you've been keeping yourself in good company. (Just kidding!)

Is that water in the filter pix?

JediKnight2
01-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Nope, no water that is gas...with gunk....

paprius4030
01-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Make sure the tank is venting properly and I had this problem a couple of times with a Chrylser van, not sure if GM uses the same arangement, but on my Dodge van the fuel pump is inside some kind of sock and the sock got saturated with water and other gunk. Mechanic just took off the sock and it ran fine after that.

roadrunner2
01-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Make sure the tank is venting properly and I had this problem a couple of times with a Chrylser van, not sure if GM uses the same arangement, but on my Dodge van the fuel pump is inside some kind of sock and the sock got saturated with water and other gunk. Mechanic just took off the sock and it ran fine after that.

I suspect there still is foreign matter in the fuel system, perhaps dirt in the fuel tank as you seem to be suspecting.

Food for thought.

Code PO1404 is EGR valve closed pintle position.

You may neede a new EGR valve.

The PCM monitors the EGR valve pintle positionwith an EGR position sensor built into the EGR valve.

JediKnight2
01-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Yeah..that 1404 code looks like we fixed...I had a vacuum hose that broke down and was disconnected...after we connected it with a new hose and reset the system it hasn't come back.

I am going up tomorrow to get it...I am debating on weather to drain the tank and throw some seafoam in it with a full tank of gas or just towing it back home to my mechanic...

I also had someone tell me that it is " carbon brushed from your fuel pump" and it's on its way out...

Question on the fuel pump...the AC Delco MU1806...does it come with a new fuel level sending unit on it...or is it separate? Also....Delphi or ACDelco...

merc81
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
You should pickup a fuel pressure meter and keep an eye on the fuel rail pressure. It sounds like the pressure may be low (and that could be due to several reasons). Just keep an eye on it.

dewaynep
01-25-2010, 12:24 PM
If you got all of that dirt out of your filter, It is most certainly glogged up. To see for yourself, cut open the old filter and take a look.

roadrunner2
01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Jedi,

I believe the sending unit is removeable from the pump because when I had my sending unit replaced, the pump was not.

If I were you, to double check, phone a GM parts counter. They'll be able to tell you.

lesterl
01-25-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Delco-MU2084-Modular-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000C9S4A2%3FSubscriptionId%3D03AEDHXFEFT4M483ZH02 %26tag%3Dvulcanauto-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165 953%26creativeASIN%3DB000C9S4A2

Looks like that one does, most GM OEM Pumps come with the sender as well as pump in one assembly.

CJ0717
01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Sounds like poor fuel pressure like stated before. See if you can check the pressure. Also GM fuel pump for a 2000 GMC was pump and sending unit all in one. Actually not too hard to change out. But had problems idling until the fuel pump just finally quit. Died and wouldn't come back. Once changed the stuttering at Idle was gone completely. Usually a pump on the way out will also be quite noisy.

CJ0717
01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Oh almost forgot this one. I had a plug wire on my 4.3L V6 come off on a road trip. Ran like that for quite some time before having to stop and fix it. Long story short not long after the engine ran worse and worse. Turned out the Catalytic converter clogged up and was plugging up my exhaust. A quick way to verify it was to remove the O2 sensor just before the converter and the engine ran like a champ. Put it back in and it ran like crap. Changed out the converter and ran like new.

Add your comment to this topic!