Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

coolant leak help!!!!

3racer
01-23-2010, 09:59 PM
1997 2.5 leaking coolant from what looks to be the where the exhaust manifold bolts to the head. the intake manifold is right between the the exhaust ports, question is could the intake gasket be bad? there is no temp issues or water in the oil so i am not leaning towards the head gasket and the freeze plugs appear to be dry, please help me as this is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks in advance!

fredjacksonsan
01-24-2010, 06:01 PM
If you're losing coolant, and it's coming out from near the intake/exhaust, doesn't it have to be the head gasket? There are numerous galleries, and one could leak outside the engine without contaminating the oil if the head gasket is bad. There could be a crack in the head somewhere that's allowing the leak, but I haven't heard of any issues in the 2.5 head.

danielsatur
01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Your post Tagged www.steelseal.com (http://www.steelseal.com) @ the top!

3racer
01-24-2010, 07:46 PM
i thought the same thing but like you stated i havent heard of any head/head gasket issues with the 2.5. i was wondering if the intake bolts tap into the coolant system kinda like a small block chevy do. i am just wondering if somebody with a little more knowledge than myself might know. thanks for the feedback!

fredjacksonsan
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Your post Tagged www.steelseal.com (http://www.steelseal.com) @ the top!

What do you mean, danielsatur?

fredjacksonsan
01-24-2010, 07:52 PM
i thought the same thing but like you stated i havent heard of any head/head gasket issues with the 2.5. i was wondering if the intake bolts tap into the coolant system kinda like a small block chevy do. i am just wondering if somebody with a little more knowledge than myself might know. thanks for the feedback!

Hopefully someone with a lot of 2.5 knowledge will come along. When I had the 2.5 on my 97 Wrangler, it was bulletproof.

rhandwor
01-24-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure on this engine but on some heads the exhaust manifold studs are water bearing. If you pull a stud they will leak. Ask your local machine shop they will help you and tell you what to do.

denisond3
01-24-2010, 08:51 PM
I think there are core plugs in the head, hidden by the intake/exhaust manifold. I know mine has them at the ends, by the outer exhaust ports, but I cant remember if there is one or two closer to the center of the head. Could it be a core plug that is leaking. If so - its likely that all of the core plugs on the head should be replaced - and they might be getting ready to leak on the block. There are 3 core plugs on the block below the manifolds on my '86 2.5L.

3racer
01-25-2010, 06:16 PM
i checked the online repair guide, the intake and exhaust manifold share a gasket, the manual states to drain coolant before replacing the gasket so i am assuming their is some sort of link between the coolant and the intake manifold. but you know what they say about assuming!! lol!! thanks for all the replies!

Add your comment to this topic!