Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Warning lights everywhere.

Bebekah71
01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
So the traction control light, check traction control warning, ABS light stays on. The O/D light blinks,& check transmission warning comes on after you get going, and speedometer is going nuts, all at once, oh and one power door is going haywire, it won't unlock sometimes, or kicks open, but doesn't open up. Any clues anyone??? It's a 99 windstar sel.

82Stang
01-20-2010, 10:50 PM
So the traction control light, check traction control warning, ABS light stays on. The O/D light blinks,& check transmission warning comes on after you get going, and speedometer is going nuts, all at once, oh and one power door is going haywire, it won't unlock sometimes, or kicks open, but doesn't open up. Any clues anyone??? It's a 99 windstar sel.

First of all, unhook the battery and see what comes up next. If the traction control does, you need an ABS sensor which may or may not be the whole hub assembly. In any event, when you get codes and arent sure, erase them and see what comes back.

wiswind
01-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Transmission O/D and speedometer......could be the vehicle speed sensor (VSS).
I had mine cause the flashing O/D and CEL come on.......although my mechanical speedometer was working just fine.
I do not have the electronic dash, nor do I have traction control.......so I do not know how a VSS might impact the traction control.

My VSS has a nylon gear that rides on the transmission 'flywheel?' which drives a cable that drives the speedometer......it also has a electrical part that sends a signal to the PCM, and would also drive the electronic speedometer, if I had one.

The VSS is located in the middle of the back part of the motor/transaxle unit.
It is above a catalytic converter......and also has a heat shield in there.
Otherwise, it would be easy to change......1 bolt, a electrical connection and speedometer cable.
However, its location makes it a go by feel job....as you cannot even see what you are doing.

The ABS light could be caused by low brake fluid level in the master cylinder.....even if it is just slightly low.
So, I would check that......and eliminate it first....as it is very easy to do.
Then you would be looking at wheel sensors.......maybe brake dust or a sensor got bumped slightly out of position.

Power door.....check all the electrical contacts.....clean.....make sure that the springy parts are not bumped crooked.
Next would be verification of free movement.......does the door seem to jerk as it closes?
Another thing would be the door closed sensor.

Add your comment to this topic!