Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

scratches on rear window

robertb
01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
There are curved scratches on the rear window that looks like the rear wiper did this. When I got out and watched it while the wiper was still going, I did not see anything but the rubber squeege touching the window. Could Ice that was caked to the wiper do this? My tb is over 4 years old and that is the original rear wiper. Is it time to get a new wiper? It seems to clean the window good enough otherwise.

MagicRat
01-20-2010, 02:53 PM
IMO it was more likely accumulated dirt and debris on the wiper blade.

Do you think this was a sudden occurrence? My guess is that this damage has been building up over months or years.

svotta
01-23-2010, 07:27 PM
you are supposed to replace wipers twice a year. where i live i replace them before the winter in ,like september and then again in may with new blades. they dry out over time and get nasty. for the scratches on the glass you can first clean the window with glass cleaner and buy some glass polish and buff it out maybe or at least make it less noticable.

jdmccright
01-29-2010, 04:09 PM
It is caused by very fine particles of dust sticking to the wiper blade rubber. Wipe the edge repeatedly with a cotton pad soaked with rubbing alcohol...you'll see all the oxidized rubber and dirt come off, turning the pad as you repeat. Do this especially after it has been dry weather for a while and you are expecting rain or have to use the washer to clear your windshield. Alternatively, you can wipe the edge with windshield cleaner and a paper towel (like at the gas station) between your fingers...easy to do at each fill-up. Wipe the dust off the glass that sits under the wipers too...no sense putting back on what you worked to remove.

There are windshield buffing kits available but have not tried any. I personally use Rain-X to further reduce wiper wear and damage from scratches. Never had a problem with scratching, but some people don't like how it works.

(FULL DISCLOSURE) I used to work for a company that made OEM windshield wiper systems.

Add your comment to this topic!