1995 Isuzu Rodeo WON'T START!!

morross1
01-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi. My 95 Isuszu Rodeo will not start. It has been running fine until one day it choked down and almost died. I had to give it gas while holding the brake. Temp ran a little hot. After putting in antifreeze temp is fine.

Then suddenly it just wont start. Turns over fine, and nearly starts. Thought it wasnt getting gas but we checked the fuel line and fuel pressure and it cam in at 40-42 psi. And it is definately getting fuel. I can hear the fuel pump come on evertime I turn the key.

We changes 3 spark plugs and confirmed they are firing- all 6 Still wouldnt crank.
On a whim the next day I tried to crank it. It started, very rough, I gave it gas and it ran just fine all day. Never had an issue all day or that night. Then the next day it wouldnt start again.

We replaced the IAC Motor but still nothing.
We are going to change the fuel filter today. I dont think its the fuel pressure regulator.

What about the O2 sensor or crank shaft sensor??
Help!
Thanks

Cat Fuzz
01-19-2010, 08:50 PM
An O2 sensor wouldn't prevent it from running. A crank sensor is usually a go/no-go type of thing. Won't make it run bad.

How old are your plug wires? Might be time for a new set.

morross1
01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Thank you so much for your help. We checked to make sure all 6 plugs were firing properly and they are- could wires still be an issue?

I am almost convinced it is a crank shaft sensor or a MAP sensor.
What do you think?

Cat Fuzz
01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, you COULD be getting what appears to be a strong spark in open air but is actually quite weak under compression. Would probably be a good idea to check out your grounds and the connections under the coil packs. You know, easy/cheap stuff first.

morross1
01-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Thank you so much for the support!! We think grounds are ok. How do I check the connections under the coil packs??

One thing I do not have is a valve cover gasket- oil is leaking and burning under the hood- however the vehicle has run so good 99 percent of time despite this.

Any advice??
Thank you so much!

johnboy583
02-24-2010, 08:03 PM
I had A 1995 rodeo a few years back and one day it started to run bad, cutting in and out. First thought it was the trans going out. Brought it in to the shop and they asked how old are my spark plug wire? Well i got new wires and i think a new fule filter and that fixed it. When fuel filters plug up they tend to let gas in for a while and then nothing. Thats why the next day it may run fine for a little while longer.

Add your comment to this topic!