'03 Envoy/TB can't remove key when battery dies

jdmccright
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
The battery died in the Envoy a few weeks ago, but the weird/dumb thing that happened was that the key would not return to lock position once it was rotated to attempt a start. Once I put the charger on or replaced the battery, all was fine. Is this an engineering goof up or have I missed a secret button/sequence somewhere? I didn't want to leave my keys in the ignition while I left to buy a new battery. Just thought that was a very idiotic thing to engineer into a vehicle. Any insights for the future would be appreciated by all. Thanks.

MT-2500
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
There is a electric solenoid in there some place that has to have 12 volts to work it.
If solenoid does not have power it will not in lock gear shift and ign switch so ign switch will turn or let gear shift go into gear.
Just the way it is made.

Some vehicles like Ford truck you can move key and put into gear without no power.
But on yours it sounds like it is set up different.

Schurkey
01-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Is this an engineering goof up or have I missed a secret button/sequence somewhere?
Yes, it's a design flaw. That also means that what you experienced is TOTALLY NORMAL for this vehicle.

Just thought that was a very idiotic thing to engineer into a vehicle.
You're correct.

Any insights for the future would be appreciated by all. Thanks.
Part of the theft prevention mechanism; but they didn't care enough to provide a bypass for when the system power dies. Typical half-assed GM thought-processing.

Add your comment to this topic!