what type of coolant do i use on a 2009 liberty

2009 jeep liberty
01-18-2010, 07:26 PM
okay. so we have a new 2009 jeep liberty, and i want to change the coolant from the factory

what is the best stuff to get?

i hear that the dealers coolant ruins the intake gasket

fredjacksonsan
01-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I've always used Prestone or similar, "the green stuff" and even when mixed with the orange factory stuff I've had no issues.

2000izusu
01-19-2010, 03:55 PM
zerex g-05 or dealer antifreeze. both are hoat technology.

hundahunta
01-22-2010, 09:35 PM
I would stick with the factory one, if you change it and something fails in you engine or cooling system it may void the warranty

fredjacksonsan
01-23-2010, 08:24 AM
I would stick with the factory one, if you change it and something fails in you engine or cooling system it may void the warranty

I wasn't aware there was anything in the warranty saying you have to use the factory coolant. Where did you find it?

hundahunta
01-26-2010, 12:28 AM
sorry I meant you need to use HOAT, can't mix green and red...by the way the intake manifold does not contain any coolant

fredjacksonsan
01-26-2010, 10:41 AM
sorry I meant you need to use HOAT, can't mix green and red...by the way the intake manifold does not contain any coolant

Not to be argumentative, but why can't you mix them? I haven't seen anything written that says you can't.

Reason I say this, is that if a coolant is compatible with all other coolants, you should be able to freely mix them without worrying. And while I agree that it's best to have one kind in your vehicle, you can't help but have some small amount of mixing.

That said, I've heard bad things about the HOAT coolants (mostly in GM vehicles) causing some sort of corrosion or degradation or sludging. I know that's what they use in the factory [probably because it's cheaper] but I've always used Prestone (or similar, WalMart and Advance Auto brands, for example, are pretty much the same.) At the time of my research a few years ago there were only 2 factories that made the green coolant in the US.

The job of coolant is primarily to cool of course, and secondarily to stop corrosion and electrolysis between different metals. As long as your coolant does these things, and there's no owner's manual prohibition against using a certain type of fluid, the color shouldn't matter.

hundahunta
01-27-2010, 12:03 AM
i understand coolant is coolant...but that's how warranty is...for example our dealership got a warranty repair rejected because the technician used the wrong rtv to seal the diff...

xj31
01-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Nothing says you can't mix the two.It just isn't recommended because the red coolant Chrysler uses is good for 5 years /100,000 miles.The green is 2 year coolant.If you put green in a Chrysler that has red,you just turned the 5 year coolant into 2 year coolant.That's the only reason you aren't supposed to mix them.They will mix because they are both ethylene glycol.

Add your comment to this topic!