Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 formula wont start

muttlee16
01-18-2010, 01:46 AM
about a year ago someone tried to steal my 89 formula by smashing apart the steering column. they didn't get the car because of the vats but they tore apart many wires and other internal pieces. i got another column from a junk yard that was the same year and transmission and came with the key. i installed it and tried to fire up my car. all the power came on but the car didn't crank and then some smoke came from the passengers side of the engine and it lost all power. dose anyone have any ideas what happened and or how to fix it. thanks for your time

5046adam
01-22-2010, 02:03 AM
u burned a fusible link normaly on the starter. when ur column was changed was the key resistance (ohm) the same. that could cause it to power up but not start as for burning the link maybe a wire in the column is exposed and grounding out.

Thumper88
02-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Your Starter burnt up. Replace it, a Rebuilt will run you about 50 bucks. Promise you that's your problem, didn't replace the column in mine but turned the key over all the lights worked tried to start it, smoke came from passenger side. Ended up happening to take the starter out, took it to Advance got a Rebuilt, cause the one I had burnt up, put in the rebuilt i got from advance and haven't had a problem since.

Add your comment to this topic!