Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 windstar coolant line

bigryry
01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Back to work on the Van. Driving last night stopped at a red light noticed smoke coming out of the engine (a lot of smoke) so drove home and looked with a flashlight and noticed coolant spraying out of a hose. So i figure wait until today to work on it. Now a few questions while i am working on it.

1. The line that went is a metal Y line. it seems to go out of the water pump (i believe) going toward the firewall of the engine it branches and goes up and down to rubber lines. there is one single bolt ont he pump and then another further back.
Main question is that the metal line does not want to come out of the pump. Do i have to remove the front of the water pump?? Any tricks on this?
I cant get to the clamps yet to unclamp the Y near the firewalls but I would think the line int he front would pull up?
Anyone do this before has any pointers i would greatly appreacite them!

catvents
01-17-2010, 04:01 PM
The job will be easier if you remove the top cowl vent panel ( wiper arm etc) so you will have an easy acces to remove the old pipe and and install the new one.Yes the tube held on the water pump with one bolt, and another bolt to a bracket close to the "Y". Remove this bolt before doing what is following.The pipe that goes in the water pump is a steel pipe, so it could be rusted and sticked in the water pump. So you should soak the tube generously ( where it come in the water pump) with PB Blaster and be patient and wiggle it from side to side until it unstick from the pump. Be gentle in doing so for not breaking or crack the water pump housing. The new pipe will come with a new seal. And nothing else to remove from the water pump itself except the bolt that retain the tube.

bigryry
01-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Did the job! Took forever... I took off the heater tub assembly off the firewall. Big mistake.... Bolt was rusted and one turn cracked the bolt, talk about tring to get that out, had to drill out the bolt and finding an anserwer for replacing that bolt was a nightmare because of the way the bracket is put on so close to the firewall... Wow worked on it from 11am to 6:30pm, i would of never thought it wouldve taken that long...OMG it was one thing wrong after another. I replaced it but noticed that my power stearing pressure line is leaking fluid at the pump.... I called a buddy of mine that works at a shop and he will do it for 75 bucks with the part..

A very long run of bad luck with this van... Hoping it will end soon!

Add your comment to this topic!