Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing transmission fluid (ATF) on 2006 Mazda 6

Pickngrin
01-15-2010, 08:14 PM
I am going to change the transmission fluid on my ’06 Mazda 6. I’ve never changed trans fluid before so this is a first for me.
My question is whether I am supposed to be disconnecting the ATF fluid line from the radiator so that fluid will be pumped out.
If so, how do I locate that line? I was just under the car looking, and I did see one line with what looked like a braided nylon sleeve, that
appears to connect to the radiator. It has a squeeze clamp (for lack of the proper term) on it.
Can someone please tell me if that is the proper way to do this, or if I should just drain the fluid from the pan, replace the gasket, and refill the ATF?

Thanks

chrikri212
01-17-2010, 07:21 PM
there should just be a pretty big bolt on the tranny where its just unbolt that and your oil should just pore out.

MazdaX
01-24-2010, 01:09 AM
The only problem with changing your own tranny fluid ( unless you have a machine to pump fluid thorugh at a high rate of speed & pressure ) is it leaves a ton of dirty fluid in there. Transmission fluid changes aare nothing like oil changes on engines. You also need to remove the pan , drop the filter , and pressure clean ( with the new fluid being pumped through the transmission ) the valve body to remove any fine particles. If you do it wrong , It will be costly and you will ruin your transmission. This is NOT a do it yourself job.

Transmission flushes are cheap , easy and take less than an hour for professionals to do. I'm all for DIY but not when it can jeapordize the longevity of the vehicles drivetrain. I had mine done for 99.00 from Tanner transmission.

Add your comment to this topic!