Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Iso Heet Fuel Additive

CCMphysician
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
What is your opinion on IsoHeet as a fuel additive? Does it really clog the fuel filter and can the isopropanol damage the seals by drying them out?

Thank you in advance,
CCM

shorod
01-14-2010, 09:52 PM
My impression of IsoHeet is that it's an overpriced bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (but not water-saturated rubbing alcohol). I suppose if you were using it in place of a tank full of gasoline you might run in to seal issues, but when diluted per the "treats x gallons" listing on the bottle you should not experience any problems.

-Rod

CCMphysician
01-14-2010, 10:48 PM
My impression of IsoHeet is that it's an overpriced bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (but not water-saturated rubbing alcohol). I suppose if you were using it in place of a tank full of gasoline you might run in to seal issues, but when diluted per the "treats x gallons" listing on the bottle you should not experience any problems.

-Rod

Those are my thoughts as well. I see it as the non-azeotropic form of isopropanol with detergents added. My other question:

Do you think it could hurt the fuel filter?

Thank you,
CCM

shorod
01-15-2010, 06:44 AM
No, it will be so dilluted that it's not going to do anything to the paper fuel filter element, or even the nylon fuel filter sock in the tank on the fuel pump.

-Rod

jdmccright
01-15-2010, 08:17 AM
When it gets cold out, water can condense from the air inside the tank and settle at the bottom (it has a higher density and is immiscible). This can prevent starting, cause misfire, or stalling if there is enough accumulation. The main ingredient in Heet, isoproyl alcohol, is used to make any water in the tank miscible in the gasoline so that it can be sucked out by the fuel pump and expelled in the exhaust as combustion takes place...a little at a time so that it doesn't affect engine performance too much to set off warning lights. It is not designed as a fuel stabilizer or cleaner, only to remove built-up water.

As mentioned, the dilution ratio is low enough (when added to a full tank as directed) that the alcohol won't dry out seals. To be safe, don't add to a completely empty tank then fill up to provide good mixing. Hope this helps!

Moppie
01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
When it gets cold out, water can condense from the air inside the tank and settle at the bottom (it has a higher density and is immiscible). This can prevent starting, cause misfire, or stalling if there is enough accumulation. The main ingredient in Heet, isoproyl alcohol, is used to make any water in the tank miscible in the gasoline so that it can be sucked out by the fuel pump and expelled in the exhaust as combustion takes place...a little at a time so that it doesn't affect engine performance too much to set off warning lights. It is not designed as a fuel stabilizer or cleaner, only to remove built-up water.

As mentioned, the dilution ratio is low enough (when added to a full tank as directed) that the alcohol won't dry out seals. To be safe, don't add to a completely empty tank then fill up to provide good mixing. Hope this helps!

A bottle of meths will do the same job though, and cost a lot less :icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!