Ford Taurus Transmission Repair - Rebuild Or Reman? Which Is Cheaper And Which Will

Mithridates
01-14-2010, 12:53 AM
last longer? As far as I know, rebuilding means getting your local mechanic to take your existing transmission apart and put it back together. Reman means buying a transmission that a third party has remanufactured and having your local mechanic put it in.

MagicRat
01-14-2010, 10:07 AM
These terms are almost synonomous. A rebuild is remanufacturing, if its done thoroughly enough.

Most general mechanics would not rebuild a transmission themselves. These things are so complicated, it makes little sense to learn how to rebuild them unless you are going to rebuild them full-time.
So, a local mechanic would remove the transmission and send the transmission out to a transmission rebuilding shop. If that shop does a thorough job them it is, essentially manufactured.

A mechanic can also get a reman transmission from an auto parts supplier on an exchange basis. He buys the new one and gives them the old one at the same time. This is usually a bit more expensive than a rebuilder, but it is much faster.

IMO the best choice depends on the circumstances involved. If the transmission still works okay but is just worn and slipping, a local rebuilder is fine and may be cheaper. But if it has smashed hard parts, like gear sets, etc, then getting a reman unit on exchange is easier and cheaper, because the local shop would charge you extra for the new hard parts, but the remanufacturer would not.

In my experience, reman or rebuilt transmissions are occasionally not done correctly, due to the complexity of the item. I prefer a shop that has a good reputation and rebuilds a lot of the transmissions in question.

Mithridates
01-14-2010, 10:30 AM
A mechanic can also get a reman transmission from an auto parts supplier on an exchange basis. He buys the new one and gives them the old one at the same time. This is usually a bit more expensive than a rebuilder, but it is much faster.I have seen reman transmissions advertised on Ebay for $900. I have heard of transmission rebuilds costing $3K. Does the removal of an existing transmission and the installation of a reman transmission cost $2100?

scottman25
01-28-2010, 01:18 AM
I got a quote of 2k that included shift kit, total rebuild, new converter, removal and install of trans, and I think a 3 yr unlimited mile warranty. That was quoted to me by R&R transmission in pottstown pa.

I tried lee Myles in exeter pa and they wanted 2800 for just a rebuild, new converter and installation and removal. No shift kit.:crying::eek2: YIKES!!!
Scott

65comet
02-03-2010, 03:54 PM
The model year and specific transmission can affect the price. For my 98 duratec it was $2200 to rebuild at a reputable tranny shop. Be sure to check the better business bureau for the shops around you.
My 02 four wheel drive Escape had the tranny go out, it was $2400 with a life-time guarantee. The tranny cooler on it is inside the radiator and it broke sending anti-freeze into the transmission. A while after the rebuild the casing the clutches sit it blew out a weld and they honored the guarantee without hesitation. A remanufactured probably would have had that casing tested, but then again, maybe not.

65comet
02-03-2010, 03:54 PM
The model year and specific transmission can affect the price. For my 98 duratec it was $2200 to rebuild at a reputable tranny shop. Be sure to check the better business bureau for the shops around you.
My 02 four wheel drive Escape had the tranny go out, it was $2400 with a life-time guarantee. The tranny cooler on it is inside the radiator and it broke sending anti-freeze into the transmission. A while after the rebuild the casing the clutches sit it blew out a weld and they honored the guarantee without hesitation. A remanufactured probably would have had that casing tested, but then again, maybe not.

65comet
02-03-2010, 03:56 PM

65comet
02-03-2010, 03:58 PM

AmandaB561
02-08-2010, 05:33 PM
I paid $1700 for a new tranny and a lot of my younger guy friends that own imports said that was a rip off. I had to remind them that my car is a 2000 and American. If I had to do it over again I would cause since the tranny was replaced it shifts smoothly.

Add your comment to this topic!