Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Climate Control System Not Blowing

jaimysessanna
01-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Hello everyone, I have a 1994 Buick Lesabre Limited with the Electronic Climate Control.

First lets begin, I just did a complete manifold back exhaust today; someone, lost a ladder on one of the local roads here in western new york, snow covered the roads and ladder, and I ended up running it over, and it took the whole exhaust. Anyways though, it sounds good and everything is back in shape.

Thats not the question however. Tonight I went out to my car to take a friend home and I put the heat on and it the electronic climate control didn't put the heat on at first. I figured, okay, the motor's cold and it takes a while. But after enough time has passed, it still didn't blow anything. So I was playing with it. I put it from AUTO to the defrost and I can hear it move which ever it moves around, moving. And I can adjust the heat from 60 to 90 no problem, but the blower motor isn't working. Whether it's on automatic fan control, low, or high, the blower motor doesn't engage at all.

Any ideas? I was reading a previous post and from what I can figure is that there are relays to control the fan speed and to control the blower motor itself.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

jaimysessanna
01-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Could it be the blower control module? And would this be listed as the blower control switch at say Advance/Autozone? Where is this and how would I be able to diagnose this as the problem?

I apologize for the surge of questions, I'm a full time student and I go back to school on Wednesday and it's mighty cold out here. I would like to get this fixed as soon as possible.

imidazol97
01-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Hello everyone, I have a 1994 Buick Lesabre Limited with the Electronic Climate Control.

First lets begin, I just did a complete manifold back exhaust today; someone, lost a ladder on one of the local roads here in western new york, snow covered the roads and ladder, and I ended up running it over, and it took the whole exhaust. Anyways though, it sounds good and everything is back in shape.

Thats not the question however. Tonight I went out to my car to take a friend home and I put the heat on and it the electronic climate control didn't put the heat on at first. I figured, okay, the motor's cold and it takes a while. But after enough time has passed, it still didn't blow anything. So I was playing with it. I put it from AUTO to the defrost and I can hear it move which ever it moves around, moving. And I can adjust the heat from 60 to 90 no problem, but the blower motor isn't working. Whether it's on automatic fan control, low, or high, the blower motor doesn't engage at all.

Any ideas? I was reading a previous post and from what I can figure is that there are relays to control the fan speed and to control the blower motor itself.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Most likely it's the blower control module, which is close to the blower motor under the hood and changes the speeds by varying the voltage. At autozone it's a switch and looks like this
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/JA1543/image/5/
It's price is 180$

Diagnosing is by disconnecting the blower motor wires and connecting the blower motor to the battery directly using a fuse in the circuit. If the blower motor runs then, most likely it's the module. The module is under the relay center and on top of the heater box that the motor blows into (the air cools the power resistor on the module). The relay center has two screws holding it and it can be pushed up to gain some room to remove two screws holding the blower control module in place.

If the blower motor doesn't run when directly connected to the battery (be sure to provide a ground connection in whatever way you do it), then you have a blower motor--easier to get and replace. Sometimes hitting gently on the housing area for the blower motor on the firewall behind the engine with key on will start it turning if the problem is a bad bearing or brushes in the motor.

Other stores may have a cheaper price. Some have found them at junkyards. Many years are interchangeable.

BUICK LESABRE CUSTOM (1992 - 1996)
BUICK LESABRE LIMITED (1992 - 1996)
BUICK PARK AVENUE (1992 - 1999)
BUICK PARK AVENUE ULTRA (1992 - 1998)
BUICK RIVIERA (1992 - 1996)
CADILLAC ALLANTE (1992 - 1993)
CADILLAC DEVILLE (1992 - 1996)
CADILLAC DEVILLE TOURING (1992 - 1993)
CADILLAC ELDORADO (1992 - 1993)
CADILLAC ELDORADO SPORT 1993
CADILLAC ELDORADO TOURING 1993
CADILLAC SEVILLE (1992 - 1993)
CADILLAC SEVILLE STS (1992 - 1993)
OLDSMOBILE 88 ROYALE (1992 - 1996)
OLDSMOBILE 88 ROYALE LS (1992 - 1996)
OLDSMOBILE 88 ROYALE LSS 1995
OLDSMOBILE 98 REGENCY (1992 - 1994)
OLDSMOBILE 98 REGENCY ELITE (1992 - 1996)
OLDSMOBILE 98 REGENCY TOURING (1992 - 1993)
PONTIAC BONNEVILLE SE (1992 - 1996)
PONTIAC BONNEVILLE SSE (1992 - 1996)
PONTIAC BONNEVILLE SSEI (1992 - 1993)

This is from rockauto.com, which lists the price as $144, but they have high shipping charges.

jaimysessanna
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Thank you for your response, I just went out to the car this morning and started it up and the fan started to blow, and it blew on all 5 of the speeds as well. So I'm led to believe that the blower motor is working. Do the control modules do this when they are on their way out.

BTW: It's about 20 - 25 degrees out here in WNY, would the temperature being this low have something to do with it?

HotZ28
01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Do the control modules do this when they are on their way out.
Usually the control module is not the problem if it is varying voltage; however, the blower motor will exhibit the problem you described when the bearings are worn. The next time the blower motor does not run, tap it firmly with a hammer with the ignition switch ON and fan control on high. If it runs, replace the blower motor.

BTW, should you ever need one Click Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93-94-95-96-Lesabre-Blower-Motor-Control-Module-OEM_W0QQitemZ400040636034QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5d2447ae82) & Here (http://www.rightnowautoparts.com/searchitem.epc) & enter Part # 15-8548 for best price on an ACDelco blower control module.

Add your comment to this topic!