99 Rodeo Battery Terminals and/or Wires

coldday
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
The (+) battery terminal clamp snapped in two today. Looks like this wire goes a long way down into the engine compartment, w/ at least one, if not more, grafts going out of it along the way.

Is it frowned upon to just bolt a new terminal clamp onto the wire? Seems to be the "easiest" solution?

What should I look for at the auto store?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I've got 153k or so on a S (2.2L) 1999 2wd :(

Appreciated!

MagicRat
01-11-2010, 10:02 PM
I have used the bolt-on type occasionally. They work okay but become corroded over time. A couple of times a year, one must take them apart and clean them and the wires with a small metal brush.

Have you have ever used a propane plumbing torch to solder copper pipes together? If yes, then its probably easier to get solder-on battery terminals. These terminals have a "cup" at one end.
If you have the plumbing tools, it takes about 3 minutes to do.

This link tells you how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5vkwWuDRGE&feature=related

This is an excellent instruction link . You do not have to use the solder pellets shown here. Just use plumbing solder, its fine. You can substitute electrical tape for the heat-shrink tube as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDkNMDDrBs

coldday
01-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I did see that youtube video on doing that. Seems pretty easy. Wonder if I can do that without removing the wire.... hmmm. Guess I can give it a whirl. Maybe I can get both wires (there's an auxillary wire, lesser gauge that goes to the relay box?) into the cup. Do I need special solder?

MagicRat
01-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I did see that youtube video on doing that. Seems pretty easy. Wonder if I can do that without removing the wire.... hmmm. Guess I can give it a whirl. Maybe I can get both wires (there's an auxillary wire, lesser gauge that goes to the relay box?) into the cup. Do I need special solder?

No special solder required, just the plumbing stuff works.

I have done this on the car. I just remove the battery and have a friend hold the terminal with some vice grips while I work.

coldday
01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks MagicRat.

I'll give it a whorl and see how it goes, hopefully soon. I'll see if the local auto store has any solder on terminals and will try to do it w/out removing the cable.

Are the terminal ends sized, and if so, what gauge would a 1999 rodeo's positive battery terminal be? I'll eyeball it I guess. Didn't see any info on that in the Haynes manual.

Thanks again.

coldday
01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Riebes had the solder on type, but only for 1gauge, I got it anyway. Guessing the cable on the 99 Rodeo is 4gauge, but just a guess. Hopefully this will still work well enough, seems it ought to.

I'll post when I get it done, probably tomorrow...

Thanks again for the tips.

---------------------- ETA -------------------------

Well it is done. The terminal was a bit large for the battery cable but it seems pretty solid and it works. When I first tried to start the car it did a few "click, click, click" 's before it started. But the few other times I tried it after that first time it started right up without the clicking noise.

Anyone know what that clicking is from? Glad it is gone.

If i take any pics I'll post some up here.

Add your comment to this topic!