Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help fuse keeps blowing

SINCITY192
01-11-2010, 07:44 PM
88 XJ 4WD 4.0L 6cyl auto trans

OK i figured the radio problem out I mistakenly broke the power from the radio from fuse block while driving and didnt even realize it so Radio is working again
I pulled the headlight switch down where i could see it for testing
i tested the red/red & blue wire for 12 volts and it read 12. something
soon as i pull the headlight switch to the on position it blew the fuse again! I feel like I'm starting from square ..... why would this happen i cant check the blue wires now cause the fuse blows every time i put it in............ What a piece of shit...... at this point im ready to swap back in the New headlight switch but im running outta fuses!!!!!

whats next what do i do NOW!!!

fredjacksonsan
01-18-2010, 11:24 AM
There must be a short somewhere, either in the headlight switch or the wiring.

Perform a continuity test on the wires that go to the lights. You don't need the power to be on, nor the switch to work for this test to be successful. Or, you could just trace the wiring from the switch to the lights, looking for worn spots or exposed wiring.

New87jeeper
03-03-2010, 08:20 PM
you've gotta go thriugh the horrer of tracing the wires beck until you find thae short. You could run a completly new wire. You can use a wire tracer, they're used for electrical work... duh... You connect a signal sender onto one end and use a hand held device to follow the sound until it gets dim and dies out. You then have a ball park as where to look. DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!